Turkey Breast For Lunchmeat - with pics

Started by OTB, March 16, 2010, 06:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_91360

Does taking frozen meat , defrosting and re-freexing have an impact on taste / texture.  Have always heard that you should not re-freeze previously frozen meat

Quarlow

That is just for thawing raw meat and then refreezing it. You may have started bacteria growth while it thaws and refreezing it won't kill it, then when you thaw it for the second time you get a bacterial growth explosion that will be hard to kill during cooking. If you thaw it then cook it it is no problem to freeze it as you will have killed any small amount of bacteria that would have started growing while thawing.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

If the meat is properly handled and it was fully thawed in the refridgerator, you can safely refreeze raw meat. In the refrigerator the growth is very slow, so you will not have the issues that Quarlow has pointed out. But if you have thawed it at room temperature, or thaw it in the refridgerator and let it sit in the refridgerator for several days after it has been fully thawed, then the issues that Quarlow has pointed out can occur.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mow_delon

Man do I love this forum.  I pulled a Turkey out of the freezer this morning to de-bone and try to smoke for sandwich slices.  I get on the forum to find a recipe and this is the first post I see for turkey.  Thanks for sharing your wonderfully complete info on what you did, OTB!!  Am going to get Turkey de-boned and brining tonight (hopefully it will be thawed).  Gonna follow this recipe to the letter.  Thanks again OTB!!!!!!