Butts, Shoulder Roast and More

Started by classicrockgriller, March 16, 2010, 11:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Quote from: squirtthecat on March 17, 2010, 11:37:11 AM

Looks good, CRG!    I did some arm roasts and they got away from me...  (super dry)
Double-foiling them would have done the trick.

Question:   How did you vacuum seal them w/ the marinade without it sucking it all out?

I have an older seal-a-meal and that is always a challenge. I made the bags a little longer than normal, but that was ok since

I was going to re-vac after I added the rubs. I also stuck them in the freezer for a short time to harden the liquids.

The Foodsaver have a "seal now" feature OR you could place a rolled up paper towel at the top of the seal to stop the liquid flow.

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on March 17, 2010, 12:17:07 PM
Great Looking Eats CRG - The pulled beef looks great!  I didn't foil mine the last time i did it and it ended up a little dry.  Yours look very moist from the pics, do you think the foil helped retain the moisture?

The meat was very moist with out adding the adjour back to it.

The foiling worked great and I will do this again and again.

I have bought these Shoulder Roast for as low as $1.59 lb and there is hardly any waste to them.

I wish I would have weighted the finish product to see what the shrinkage was, But I bet it wasn't 20%.

The Butt with that Adobo rub smells insanely good. They are at 183* IT right now.

OU812

Question:   How did you vacuum seal them w/ the marinade without it sucking it all out?

With the vac sealer I have you just hit the seal button when the fluid gets close to the top. That stops the vacuum and starts the sealin.

Oh ya you have to hold the bag upright when doin it and a second set of hands come in handy.

squirtthecat

Quote from: OU812 on March 17, 2010, 12:36:56 PM

With the vac sealer I have you just hit the seal button when the fluid gets close to the top. That stops the vacuum and starts the sealin.

Oh ya you have to hold the bag upright when doin it and a second set of hands come in handy.

Mine has that option as well. 

I always seal mine flat...   Maybe that is why the juices try to run out so fast.   I'll try letting it fold over the front of the counter next time. (maybe pin it in place with a hip/knee to keep the hands on the controls)

Hey - what if you put the meat in a gallon bag w/ the marinade, but just fold it over, then put that in the vacuum bag?  It might trap it better..     

KyNola

STC,
You're about to open it again aren't you?  ;) :D

SnellySmokesEm

QuoteThe Butt with that Adobo rub smells insanely good. They are at 183* IT right now.

I have found a new love for Adobo spice since I made NEPAS' carnitas last weekend.  It went over very well with the wife and friends.  I think my next butt will be the the Adobo rub.  What the Adobo to Chili Powder ratio?
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

classicrockgriller

Squirt, Wally World has some cheap non sealable (except with a tie strap) Qt and Gal bags that i have used like you said.

Place something super liquidy in it and kinda squeeze the air outand fold over the top before putting in the vac bag and that works pretty good.

They are cheap. $.99 for a 100 and they are more flexable than ziploc type bags.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on March 17, 2010, 12:54:15 PM
QuoteThe Butt with that Adobo rub smells insanely good. They are at 183* IT right now.

I have found a new love for Adobo spice since I made NEPAS' carnitas last weekend.  It went over very well with the wife and friends.  I think my next butt will be the the Adobo rub.  What the Adobo to Chili Powder ratio?

I really didn't measure it, but it was probably 65/75 to 35/25. Adobo to Chili powder.

It really has a great smell to it while it is cooking.

SnellySmokesEm

QuoteI really didn't measure it, but it was probably 65/75 to 35/25. Adobo to Chili powder.
What, you experimented and you didnt take notes?   You knew it was going to be a good thread and newbies like me would want the rub recipe so we could try it ourselves...   :P  Oh well,  I guess I will have to experiment as well.  :P

And yes it does smell very good!   :)
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

FLBentRider

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on March 17, 2010, 01:35:18 PM
QuoteI really didn't measure it, but it was probably 65/75 to 35/25. Adobo to Chili powder.
What, you experimented and you didnt take notes?   You knew it was going to be a good thread and newbies like me would want the rub recipe so we could try it ourselves...   :P  Oh well,  I guess I will have to experiment as well.  :P

We ran out (!) of chili powder the other day while making a pot of chili.

I pretty much used up the left over adobo and other chili powders I had left.

Yeah - it was great! and not all that repeatable either....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 17, 2010, 01:40:37 PM

We ran out (!) of chili powder the other day while making a pot of chili.

I pretty much used up the left over adobo and other chili powders I had left.

Yeah - it was great! and not all that repeatable either....

Was it a tad "warm as heck"?

Figure if this turns out too warm:

A. I will know better next time.

B. I'll add some sweet sauce to it to try and balance it.

I have "poked" my finger on it a cple times and it doesn't taste too warm.

classicrockgriller

You awoke my curiosity and I took a knife and sliced some of the bark off and it is not hot, just warm.

I think by the time it gets mixed in with the rest of the piggie it should be pretty good.

OU812

Wheres the money shot of those piggies?  ;D

classicrockgriller

Here's a shot at 4.

I have been slow at 210* cause of the shoulder roast and didn't change the temp. At 4 was 21 hrs.

The bone is about to pull itself. temp is 189* I think I will take them out and give them a long FTC.

OU812

Damn, those piggies are lookin gooood.

Are they goin to be done in time for supper or are they spoken for?