Butts, Shoulder Roast and More

Started by classicrockgriller, March 16, 2010, 11:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

I took the smaller butt off at 192* IT and double foil and TC'ed it.

This is the one that had the Pitts & Spitts Rub.

It looks like it is trying to pull it self. I didn't note this earlier, but I trimmed almost all the fat off these again.

classicrockgriller

Butt #1 Pulled (fell apart)

classicrockgriller

Butt #2 with the Adobo

Going to FTC

other side

coming out of FTC

All pulled

The Adobo and Chili was actually kinda mid-mild. Nice flavor, this is a must do again also.

OU812

Thats goin to be gooood.

Goin to have to try the adobo on my next butt, I really like it on chicken and pork chops, never thought of tryin it on a butt.

classicrockgriller

When I got my La Caja and started playing around with the Mojo Criollo marinade,

I read that the Adobo seasoning is one of the things they add to a butt cooked in the La Caja.

Might try the Adobo with some Cayenne next time. I tasted the Butt this morning and it had mellowed out

to almost no heat. It taste great, just no heat.

KyNola

Those butts look great. Two questions, do you think scoring the butts added anything and are you still satisfied with the fat cap trimmed from them?  I've only attempted the trim once but I really liked the outcome.  Interested to hear your thoughts, particularly on the scoring.  Going to school on your experiences.

SnellySmokesEm

Those butts look great!  Im with Ky on the scoring issue.  My family is coming in town from NJ and TX next week for my son's 1st birthday and Butts and Brisket is on the menu :)
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KyNola on March 18, 2010, 09:18:46 AM
Those butts look great. Two questions, do you think scoring the butts added anything and are you still satisfied with the fat cap trimmed from them?  I've only attempted the trim once but I really liked the outcome.  Interested to hear your thoughts, particularly on the scoring.  Going to school on your experiences.

KyNola, You know I have done just about everything I can think of to a Boston Butt.

I have slapped them, pinched them, flipped them, de-boned them, unrolled them, injected them, cut them up into sections

and then retied them together after the smoke, etc., etc.

The molasses/creole butts had a thick fat cap and I trimmed it off. It got a slather of "protection" so it didn't seem to bother

the outside getting too hard.

These butts came from Sam's and I bought a case of them. They were trimmed pretty good, but I did finish trimming them.

Was kinda scared doing them with no fat cap and no slather, but on the bottom shelf I had a roasting pan of tea water.

The outside crust of these butts was not hard and didn't use a knife to "chop" the bark, I just pulled it apart like the rest of the Butt.

"Scoring the Butts"

I liked it. It gave me little clumps of extra outside seasoned smoked filled area's to add to the inside pulled pork.

It was easy to do and kinda fun to do. I felt like "Zorro". ;D

I think it would help when you "slather" your piggy for deeper penetration of your sauce.

I went pretty deep with the scoring 1&1/2 in. Any deeper and you might get pieces falling off.

I might try going deeper next time, but only in one direction. (not crisscrossed)

Also not knowing how much smoke the "scoring" would suck up, I cut my smoke time down to 4 hrs with 2 hickory and 1 apple.

I like that combination and I will increase my smoke time back up in that it didn't quite have enough smoke for me, but then

that is just me. I like the smoke.

Hope this helps.

classicrockgriller

HMMM, what about scoring the Butt and soaking it in a ham glaze. $$ ching/ching!

squirtthecat

What about hitting one with a Jaccard??

100s and 100s of tiny little holes..

classicrockgriller

Quote from: squirtthecat on March 18, 2010, 10:46:01 AM

What about hitting one with a Jaccard??

100s and 100s of tiny little holes..

They might seal themselfs up before you could get any smoke in them, but it is always worth a try.

I am kinda running out of Idea's to abuse more Butts.

If anyone knows something they have been wanting to try, tell me.

I have 13 Butts and 2 picnics that are waiting for smoke.

squirtthecat

Dude, that was like an underhanded softball toss..   Not even gonna swing at it..    ;D

KyNola

Totally agree Pat.  Don't even start. ;)

CRG, thanks for the input on the scoring.  Does seem like by scoring the butt you are giving yourself more surface to absorb smoke.  Scooter2 has an interesting twist he has been doing lately when he smokes a butt on a MAK but could work just as well in a Bradley. After he takes the finished butts out, he breaks them apart into the chunks that it naturally separates into and puts them in the cold smoker side of the MAK and runs smoke on them for 30-60 minutes.  You could do the exact same thing with a Bradley and "double smoke" the meat without drying it out.

How do you like that twist?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KyNola on March 18, 2010, 12:26:46 PM
Totally agree Pat.  Don't even start. ;)

CRG, thanks for the input on the scoring.  Does seem like by scoring the butt you are giving yourself more surface to absorb smoke.  Scooter2 has an interesting twist he has been doing lately when he smokes a butt on a MAK but could work just as well in a Bradley. After he takes the finished butts out, he breaks them apart into the chunks that it naturally separates into and puts them in the cold smoker side of the MAK and runs smoke on them for 30-60 minutes.  You could do the exact same thing with a Bradley and "double smoke" the meat without drying it out.

How do you like that twist?

I've seen that and I like it. Might have to try it soon. ;D Thanks!

Rich_91360

When you first put the butts in, how long did you think they would take?  Still new to this and would have started getting worried after aboput a dozen hours let alone 21 ++.

From what i have read on site seems better to make ahead of time and either freeze or refrigerate rather than try to make for a dinner with friends, evem when starting day before.