Just tried the "Stealth Steak Smoking" myself

Started by rmdodson, March 17, 2010, 05:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmdodson

Taking an idea from FLBentRider, I did this last night with some NY strips & venison steaks & it really works! I did 2 hrs. of Mesquite smoke & then finished them on the grill. He, too wanted me to give the smoker a break after 2 batches each of pulled pork & smoked bbq beans & 10# of chicken quarters ;) Hubby thought they were delicious! Would have taken pictures, but there wasn't enough left to take pictures of ;D

classicrockgriller

FLBentRider

Nice job.

The photo opp kinda gives it away.  ::)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

rmdodson

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 17, 2010, 06:05:11 PM
;D You have to take pics before you eat!

Couldn't take pics...hubby got to it too quick...he snitched a little piece of the venison while I took the taters & veggies to the grill & then dove into the rest...Only had 2 of the NY strips (they were small, though) left by the time I got them off the grill & it was time to eat. So I had 1 & he ate the last one last night.

Tommy3Putts

I am a steak lover.  One of the reasons I went the bradley route is the cold smoke of steaks capability.  I can't wait to give a few 16oz rib-eyes a two hour ride with hickory and them toss them on the grill for three minutes a side. 

bears fan

Just out of curiosity because I've been wanting to do this as well, what temperature do you smoke them?  Also, what thickness of steak are you using?

FLBentRider

I cold smoked mine - tower heat off.

It would be even better to cold smoke, plastic wrap and overnight in the fridge, grill the next evening.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 22, 2010, 03:27:18 AM
I cold smoked mine - tower heat off.

It would be even better to cold smoke, plastic wrap and overnight in the fridge, grill the next evening.

I do the same thing.

When New York is on sale I buy the whole side, cut into 1" steaks, cold smoke for 2 hr with Pecan, vacume seal and put in the fridge for a day to let the smoke sink in then freeze for a later date. The ones I'm cookin right away I just wrap in plastic and put in the fridge over night then grill the next day.

I think the smoke flavor is better this way, but thats just me.