Started by mr5umo, March 17, 2010, 01:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr5umo

hi any body help with cold smoking times for bacon
curing for 7 days then I'm going to smoke with apple all suggestions wellcome

Habanero Smoker

Hi mr5umo.
Welcome to the forum.

There are a couple of ways you can use your Bradley to cold smoke your bacon. It is best to setup the smoker with the generator detached. Bradley now sell a cold smoke setup, but you can setup your own.
Cold Smoke Setup
Another Setup

First it is important to get a good pellicle on the surface. You can do this by letting the bacon set over night in the refrigerator, uncovered. I like the place them on inverted Bradley racks, set inside a sheet pan. This way the air circulates under the meat. When they feel tacky to the touch they are ready to be smoked. If you don't have enough refrigerator space, you can place your bacon (set it up as described above) on the counter and use a fan to increase the airflow over the bacon. Once tacky, they are ready to be smoked.

The easiest that takes the shortest time is to apply smoke (I like to use pecan) for 1:40 - 3:00 hours, keeping the cabinet temperature below 90°F. After the smoke has been applied, wrap tightly in plastic and place in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Then it is ready to eat, or ready to be vacuum sealed.

Another way of doing is following the same procedure above, but after applying the smoke, leave it in the smoker; holding the temperatures at 90°F for 8 - 12 hours. The loin will loose some moisture, and the flavors will be more concentrated. After taking it out of the smoker follow the same directions above.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mr5umo

thanks will give this a try this weekend :)