Your opinions are needed

Started by wischermit, March 18, 2010, 04:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wischermit

In one of my last posts I mentioned that the venison polish sausages were a little dry. Out here in the sticks, I've asked a couple of the local small butcher shop people what they suggest..One person suggested a 75% picnic trim & the other person suggested either that same picnic trim or a regular 50/50 trim.  Both items only come in 60# boxes so I'd really like your HELP before I try either one of them! What do they mean by either of them? Have any of you veterans heard of this & what do you think? Thanks sooo much for any input. 

pensrock

I just buy pork butt and grind it up. I use 50% venison and 50% ground pork butt. I tried 70% venison but it was too dry. I have done 30% venison also and it was excellent.

wischermit

Since it was my first time trying to make a cheddar polish & I didn't have any sort of recipes to follow, I used 4# venison, 1# pork butt, & 8.5 oz of cheese.. I thought the cheese would add some extra moisture to it, but obviously I was wrong.. ::)

NePaSmoKer

When i make venison on a 5 pound batch i go either way with 805 venison 20% ground pork butt. If i want firmer better tasting i use 80/20 ground beef. You can use 75/25 too.

This is just store bought GB.....IMHO I like the GB cut in better than the pork.

RAF128

When I make sausage, sticks, polish or summer I use 70/30 mix.   This mix was recommended by a sausage maker.   I don't use lean pork.   I use what they call 50-50.   Half meat and 1/2 pork fat.   Never had dry sausage unless I let the temp get too high.    152 should do the trick.

KevinG

My deer are on the small side, so a lot of the time I end up doing a 20% venison to 80% pork but. You do want to leave the fat on the pork, I sometimes also add beef suet (beef fat) usually only about 10%.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

It depends on what sausage I am making some I use 60/40 some 80/20 brats are 50/50
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

When doin summer sausage I like 60% deer 40% untrimed pork butt.

Snack sticks and the likes 80% deer 20% fat, trimed from a brisket.

Brats and the likes 50% deer 50% pork butt or chuck.

If you like brisket save all the hard white fat, comes in handy.