4lb Pork butt and Bellpeppers?

Started by duckhunter, March 19, 2010, 07:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckhunter

I'm getting prepared for my first pork butt on the smoker. I'm familiar with smoking chickens, bacon and ribs, but this is my first pork butt. Is there anything I should know? I was probably gonna do the top rack with all maple bacon, 2nd rack and 3rd rack with chickens then pork butt on bottom. I think the chickens will take 4 to 4.5hrs, but I'm unsure of the butt. Also, should I marinate the butt overnight or use rub and put in the fridge overnight? How long does the 4lb pork butt take w/ 2 whole chickens and bacon?? Any thoughts on a specific marinade or rub? And what about using a brine? Lastly, I've got some bellpeppers and have sliced them in half and deserted them and would like to stuff and put them on the smoker towards the end. Any ideas on what to stuff with and how long to smoke?? I was thinking about stuffing them with sausage, jalapenos and cheese. Thanks for any help in advance!!! ;D

bears fan

Be prepared for it to take quite some time.  I would guess you are looking at around 10 hours for a 4 lb. butt.  You will also get to a certain temperature and it will stall for quite some time before it starts to raise in temperature.  This is o.k., as you will see in other posts that this is when the "magic" happens.  Take it out when the temperature hits around 185 or 190. 

classicrockgriller

Same thing I posted on the other post you started.