turkey breast

Started by bears fan, March 21, 2010, 06:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bears fan

I seasoned up a 5# turkey breast last night and just put it in the smoker this morning.  Going to put an apple smoke on it for 2 hours.  Not sure how it is going to turn out, but looking forward to the results.

On a separate note, my cheese I smoked a couple of weekends is ready for me to try!

Pictures to come of the turkey breast.

squirtthecat

Apple and turkey work great...   You'll love it.     Is it boneless?

bears fan

It does have a bone in it.  I was looking for boneless, but didn't relay that to the wife when she picked one out at the store.  No biggie, I wanted to try this kind as well.

squirtthecat

Quote from: bears fan on March 21, 2010, 07:02:56 AM
It does have a bone in it.  I was looking for boneless, but didn't relay that to the wife when she picked one out at the store.  No biggie, I wanted to try this kind as well.

I've done both...   Just a little more work to carve around the bone, but nothing major.   Some people even carve the breast meat off of the bone, then smoke the 2 halves.    I'm not that ambitious.

You might want to throw a little foil pan on the rack under it to catch some of the drippings.  Makes for easier cleanup of the V-tray.

KyNola

STC is our resident expert turkey breast smoker.  He knows of which he speaks.

bears fan

Here it is all rubbed up and ready for the smoker

squirtthecat

Looks good from over here...

bears fan

Not used to the quick cook time.  Temp is a little over 100 degrees already after about 2 hours of smoke.  I hope it doesn't turn out dry.  Any pointers or does the turkery breast just cook that much faster.

Also trying some potatos in the smoke.  Just microwaved to soften them up a bit and threw them in to get some smoke.  We will see how they turn out.

squirtthecat

They cook pretty fast..   The bone helps transfer some of the heat to the inside as well.

When it gets to around 155°, move the probe to make sure it is cooking uniform, then you can pull it out.   Foil, towel, stash in the microwave for a while. (or in a cooler)

bears fan

I'll take your advice on that.  Thanks.

squirtthecat

Closer to 160° might be a little better...

At 155, sometimes you'll still have a few bits of 'pink', and some people have a problem with that.

bears fan

Took it off at 155 and foiled and coolered it until supper.  Not sure if it will still be warm in another 4 hours, but can always heat up a bit if it needs it.  Looked realy good and smelled good.  Will try to remember to take pic after I unfoil.

OU812

Dont leave us hangin bears fan.  ;D

How did the breast turn out?

Looks good so far.

bears fan

Sorry about the late posting of pictures.  It was excellent, very good smoke taste and very tender.  I would say, I would leave the cayenne pepper off the rub next time as it was really hot; however, with that said, I sliced half of it up for lunch meat and made a sandwich with it and the hotness from the cayenne pepper worked very well in the sandwich.  But, just to slice a piece off to eat alone, the rub was much to hot and I like hot foods.  Here is the final product.

OU812

That breast looks damn good, the skin looks perfect.

Thanks for gettin back with us, now I can sleep tonight.  ;D

I really like your cuttin board too.