Pastrami Quesiong - I think I screwed up!!

Started by Slamdunk, March 21, 2010, 05:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slamdunk

So I followed Habs recipe for pastrami but I think I goofed up.

I used the suggested Basic Dry Cure BUT I also put in a rub at the same time so the meat is now curing with both.

Will adding the rub affect it in any way?

My guess is that after curing time elapses, the rub will not be effective and I should reapply the rub. Opinions please.

Toker

It should not really matter, when curing time will be over, just rinse and cut a small piece to taste if too salty or too strong. If it is too much for your taste, just soak it for a while. Let it dry a bit then, reapply the rub. You should be OK this way.

Habanero Smoker

As long as you got all the cure on it will cure properly, following the directions in the recipe. There may be some additional benefit of more flavorings being carried into the meat. Since you need to wash off the cure and spices after it has been cured, you will need to apply the rub again prior to smoking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Like Habs, I think you're good to go.

Let's see it!

Slamdunk

Thanks!

Unfortunately no pics, it is my first time doing pastrami and I forgot to take some.....maybe later...

ArnieM

I agree with everyone's comments; it seems hard to screw up.  I've screwed up on Canadian bacon and 'regular' bacon and they all came out good in the end.

I did the slice/fry/taste test on the bacon and it was too salty.  I gave it a soak in cold water for 2-3 hours, changing the water every half hour or so, and it came out really good.  No more "store bought" for me  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

I believe it will make it better.

When I do Pastrami I always mix ground coriander, granulated garlic and fresh ground black pepper with the cure.

Then after the cure time rinse and apply the coriander, garlic and pepper again.

Turns out great.