Virginia Ham - need suggestions

Started by squirtthecat, March 22, 2010, 06:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

I picked up a Virginia ham while we were in Williamsburg over Christmas..  In fact, I just remember this weekend that it is in a box under the spare bed. (should be nice and cured by now  ;))

So...   With Easter coming up, what should I do with this thing?

I know it has to soak for 'x' days, should I do that in the fridge? Or in a cooler in the garage?

Smoke?
Bake?
Braise?
All of the above?

I think it is in the 10-12 pound range. (including a huge bone)

This is a completely alien beast to me, so I will rely on my smoking brethren here for suggestions..

TIA,
STC.

FLBentRider

So what you have there is a dry cured (and most likely already smoked) ham.

Some soak, some don't - it depends on the level of saltiness you want. IMHO - I like them salty, If you don't like it salty, buy a different ham  ;)

I would probably soak for 12 hours and test a slice.

Bear in mind that when you soak it the outside is going to get less salty first, then if you rest it in the fridge 24 hours the salt will equalize, therefore actually getting a little saltier than the test slice, but then the interior should be the same.

You could mod the oven directions and apply more smoke, I would judge from the test slice wether you want to add more smoke.

It should have some directions on it:
//copied from web site
To prepare ham:

Wash ham thoroughly in warm water. Use a stiff brush to remove surface mold if present. This mold is in no way injurious. Aged hams, like ages cheeses, mold in the process. To reduce saltiness, soak ham in cold water for 12-24 hours prior to cooking. Changing the water during soaking will aid in drawing salt from the ham. (If a milder salt flavor is desired, soak ham for 36 hours). Cook your ham using the Water or Oven cooking instructions listed below.

Water Cooking (preferred method):

1. Place ham skin side down in vessel and cover with cool water.
   2. Bring water to 190 F (simmering, not boiling).
         1. Cook approximately 25 minutes per pound or until 163 F internal temperature.
         2. Add water as needed to keep ham covered
         3. When done, take ham from vessel. While the ham is still warm, remove skin and fat as desired.
         4. If a sweet coating is desired, sprinkle the fat side with brown sugar and bread crumbs and bake in oven at 400 F until brown (approximately 15 minutes)

Oven Cooking:

1. Wrap ham in heavy-duty aluminum foil joining edges carefully and forming a vessel with the bottom layer. Add four cups of water within the foil and place in oven with a tray or shallow pan underneath for support.
   2. Cook by the following method:
         1. Preheat oven to 300 F.
         2. Bake ham for approximately three hours or 20 minutes per pound.
         3. Using a meat thermometer, check for 163 F internal temperature in the thickest part of ham.
         4. Remove ham and let cool to room temperature for one hour.
         5. Remove skin and fat as desired.
         6. If a sweet coating is desired, sprinkle the fat side with brown sugar and bread crumbs and bake in oven at 400 F until brown (approximately 15 minutes).

Suggestions for Carving:

Use a very sharp knife and cut VERY THIN slices. With ham on platter, fat side up, begin slicing about two inches from hock or small end. Make first cut straight through to the bone. Slant the knife for each succeeding cut. Decrease slant as slices become larger.

CAUTION: Please be careful while slicing ham to avoid personal injury.
//end copy

http://www.smithfield.com/articles/article/smithfield-country-ham
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Thanks, that sounds like the directions that came with it..
I guess I'll soak it, hit it with some smoke for a while, then into a foiled pan and cook it down.

Habanero Smoker

Here is a link to how Alton Brown prepared his (it was an interesting show to say the least).

Country Ham

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

That is interesting..    The heavy amounts of salt will be an issue..     I see lots of soaking ahead!

Ka Honu

Quote from: squirtthecat on March 22, 2010, 03:11:21 PM... I see lots of soaking ahead!

Is this where we start telling the horror stories about when we were kids and our parents (in my case, one from NY & one from CA) bought their first country ham and didn't know how to prepare it?  God, it was awful!

OBTW, the Dr. Pepper method is tried and true - sweetens it right up.  Yeah, Alton!

squirtthecat

Quote from: Ka Honu on March 22, 2010, 03:32:40 PM
Quote from: squirtthecat on March 22, 2010, 03:11:21 PM... I see lots of soaking ahead!

Is this where we start telling the horror stories about when we were kids and our parents (in my case, one from NY & one from CA) bought their first country ham and didn't know how to prepare it?  God, it was awful!

OBTW, the Dr. Pepper method is tried and true - sweetens it right up.  Yeah, Alton!

I will have to cut down on the salt a bit, there are some blood pressure issues to deal w/ in the target audience.   
The Dr Pepper sounds like a winner to me!

I don't even know what this thing looks like..  It came in a burlap bag in a FedEx box.

Habanero Smoker

I googled "pictures of country hams" and this is one of the links that came up:

Country Ham

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat