Brisket on the Menu

Started by RAF128, March 22, 2010, 01:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

I've been itching to do a brisket.   Mentioned it to my wife and she turned up her nose.   She's never tried it and doesn't seem to have my passion for smoked meat.    Anyway, today I went and bought a small one.   It's about 5 lbs and should do the trick to try it.   Maybe she'll change her mind after she's tried it.    She wasn't to keen on pulled pork butt but said she enjoyed it.   We'll keep trying to convert her.
I've been pouring over the recipe section trying to decide which rub.   Plan to rub it, slather it, let it rest overnight and then slow smoke.    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I've read here that 1 1/2 hours / pound..   IT should be 195 - 200.  The brisket is pretty uniform in thickness, no unlike a slab of side pork.   I figure about 8 hrs should do it.   
Unfortunetly won't have time to do it this week or weekend.   Got a few things on the go and the on the weekend we'll be at the lake.   If it doesn't warm up too much might get a little more ice fishing in.  Hope to do this thing the following weekend.

FLBentRider

I take a different approach with beef than I do pork (not sure why).

I think I like to let the beef flavor come through a little.

Pork to me is more like a blank canvas to be flavored by a rub.

I like to keep it simple - Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, a little garlic powder.

I apply four hours of smoke @205F and continue until the IT is 180-195F or the "fork test" comes out the way I like - a little give.

FTC an hour or so, slice and serve.

Take a pic or mark the brisket so you know which way the grain runs for slicing against it.

I've had them go 16 hours and be done and also 22 hours and NOT be done.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

I'm with FBR

With brisket I like the flavor of the beef and only use salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.

I like 3 hr Oak on a brisket.

Go for what ever you think you would like and go from there.