smoked tuna

Started by fredrick, March 06, 2004, 09:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredrick

hey this is my first time smoking food . I am looking forward to the up coming tuna season on the east coast this year . I was looking to see if anyone had some recipes for smoked tuna - yellow fin & blue fin.[:)]

Fuzzybear

Me too!  My first trip will be 8/2 on a two day boat out of San Diego, CA...

I've done yellowtail and bluefin....again, soaked in a sugar/salt marinade and smoked for 4 hours or so - but that was in a Cannister type electric smoker....I've not done any on the Bradley yet but I will!

Bluefin has a stronger taste that I like to marinate out so I generally leave that in for at least 12 hours in the brine....I've used mahogonay wood chunks in the old smoker but obviously, they are not available in convenient puck sized chunks!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

hossdr

First go round with the maple smoked tuna was a huge success!  Besides some elegant tuna and salmon to go with cheese we made a great pate by adding cream cheese lemon juice a little mayo and s & p  (the recipe we got off the net)  We also have some unbelievable tuna salad now.

Fuzzybear

Didja soak it in a special brine?

Glendora, CA - USA!

Fuzzybear

Ok kids, I'm back from my fishing trip and have several chunks of Albacore to smoke...my yellowtail was all taken by the family...

fredrick:  what was your process man?  Puck type? Temp? Length of smoke time? marinade?

Thanks!

Glendora, CA - USA!

Fuzzybear

Hmmmmmmm...no reply so I did my own...

1 cup soy sauce
1 cup maple syrup
juice from 10 limes
10 cloves garlic-crushed
2 tst red pepper flakes
3 lbs yellowtail fillets
smoked @ 150-195 for 2 hours
smoked full two hours using maple pucks

It's tasty kids!

Glendora, CA - USA!

Bassman

Fuzzy good job,they look excellent![:p][:D][:p]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

BigSmoker

FB,
That looks great.[:p]
One question though.  Temp was 150-195f.  Was this planned or when you turned on the smoke the heat went to 195 during the 2hrs?

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Fuzzybear

Not planned - I put the fish in at 150 and eyeballed it so it didn't go over 200...I think it took 20 mintues to go from 150 to 190....then I kept it just under 200 for the rest of the time.

Glendora, CA - USA!

David6340

Fuzzy, i've done your salmon recipe and those came out wonderful.[:)] Delicious warm or cold. Since I didn't ruin the salmon, I figure I'll go on to my next challenge and give your tuna recipe a try. Is Tuna a boney fish[:(] or is it relativley bone free like salmon? My house is definitely a no bone zone.[:D] Thanks

bsolomon

Another slant on Tuna.  

I brined for 1 hour and then cold smoked the tuna for 1 hour using Alder.  The tuna was only lightly dusted with kosher salt, black and white pepper before smoking.  Later, just before serving, I pan seared the edges in a very hot skillet with a little oil, only about a minute on each side.  Then I sliced ot very thin sashimi-style, and served it with a soy/wasabi dipping sauce.  Beautiful pan-seared edge about 1/8" thick and still red and cold in the middle.  Fabulous![:p]  I wonder when will we start seeing Bradley's in sushi restaurants?

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by David6340</i>
<br />My house is definitely a no bone zone.[:D] Thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
My condolences man![:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Cold Smoke

Kirk, Kirk, Kirk.....Not a single one ever slides by ya...[:)][:D][:D][:D][;)][;)]

Cold Smoke