How do I please a Vegetarian?

Started by NewfieSmoker, March 20, 2010, 07:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewfieSmoker

Hello Folks,

I'm tryin' something different.  I use my Bradley to make Salami, Summer Sausage, Snack Sticks, Smoked Salmon, and Jerky out of my self harvested Moose, Bear, and comercially bought pork.  I've got it down to a science and my friends absolutely love it. I had 60lbs of various sausage disappear to friends and family in under a week!!!

Anyway.... We have 2 strict vegetarians in our group that usually dont get to enjoy the "festivities" and usually just end up with a salad or gilled vegi burger.

I want to make something that will blow their mind! I'm thinking along the lines of a Tofu Salami or Brat, maybe some tofu Jerky or a Vegi sausage.  Maybe cured and smoked Tofu....

Being a strict Meat-a-terian, I'm way out of my comfort zone and welcome all advice.  I've never even SEEN Tofu!!

Newfie Smoker
Smoke em if you got em!

Rob

KyNola

Search the forum for tofu.  Seems I recall someone posting a smoker tofu recipe.

Me?  I would just make them a salad. :D

Beware of the man who does not eat meat. ;)

pensrock

Do they eat cheese? Some vegens (sp?) do, smoke some cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches are great. You can add the smoked cheese to salads also. Smoke some pistachios, everyone loves these. Make some ABT's, dare I say it, minus the bacon. I cannot believe I just said that.  ;D

FLBentRider

I put a puck or two on green beans, then into the steamer as normal.

I think I used Hickory.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I posted a recipe for vegetarian sausage, but I don't have time to look for it. I know I have a copy of the recipe and will post it tomorrow. I bought all the ingredient, but never got around to making it.

Also Sausage Maker makes a vegetable collagen casing, that is kosher certified. They are only 23 mm so you that will be the size of a hot dog.
Vegetable Collagen Casing

Also google "vegan barbecue", for some ideas. Most recipes can be adapted to cook in the Bradley.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NewfieSmoker

That would be great Habenero,  I'm not sure how fussy the girls are.  I know that regular collagen casings do come from animals, however, if they peel the casing off before consumption, they may be ok with that.  Some vegetarians are very particular, some are not.  I want them to be comfortable either way.

The Vegi Sausage sounds great, and I am going to do some Tofu Jerky.

I'm really interested in finding a way to make a smoked Tofu Salami. I could use my regular seasonings, Tofu, and Soy Protein concentrate for a binder, but I need some way to replace the Animal Fat content.  Pork Fat cooks but doesnt melt if you keep temp below 160. Im not sure if I used some type of vegetable shortening....  I want it to have that meaty look with the white "fat" spots. Certainly, the Tofu would be the white spots...Maybe Chick Peas or Black beans would be dense enough.

Any thoughts?
Smoke em if you got em!

Rob

Habanero Smoker

You can do a search for "How to smoke tofu". That will give you a lot of advice. Tofu is only a part of a vegetarian's diet, I have found that most vegetarian recipes can be made or partially made in the Bradley. For example portabella mushrooms can be slightly smoked in the Bradley then finished on the grill. So "google vegetarian dishes", vegetarian picnic", "vegetarian barbecue" etc.

Here is a link to a tofu recipe on the Recipe Site:
Smoked Tofu Bacon; which give you the basics of preparing tofu to be smoked.

I have a lot of vegetarian friends, and if they learned that I used a collagen casing that was made from an animal, they would not be pleased. My feelings on this, if I invite them over to eat, I should respect their requests. You don't have to stuff this sausage, you can form it into a meat loaf, meat ball, log, or patties. Also if you don't already know, try to find out if they restrict eggs, and dairy products from their diets.

I forgot to mention, I tried making tofu jerky once. I was very disappointed, the texture was powdery. So I believe there is a small window to get it to the right texture.

Here is the recipe I mentioned. Like I've said, I have not tried it, but I've read many good reviews about it. I misplace the link, but I believe if you google the recipe title you will find it.

Spicy Italian Vegetarian Sausages
Makes 8 links

2 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 cup chickpea flour
2 tbsp Bills Best Chik'Nish Seasoning (if using another brand which is salty, or saltier than Bill's Best, you'll want to greatly reduce the amount you use)
2 tbsp granulated onion
1 to 2 tbsp fennel seed, optional
2 tsp coarsely ground pepper, preferably freshly ground
2 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp dried chili flakes, optional
1 tsp ground smoked paprika
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground allspice
2 1/4 cups cool water*
6 to 8 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp soy sauce

1. In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients. Whisk together the water, garlic, olive oil and soy sauce and using a fork; gently stir into the dry ingredients. Stir just until ingredients are mixed. If dough mixture is too dry, you can add another tablespoon of water or as needed.

2. Scoop 1/2 cup dough mixture at a time and shape into logs. Place logs on piece of aluminum foil and roll up, twisting ends. Place sausages in steamer and steam for 30 minutes. Once sausages have cooled, remove from foil and refrigerate until ready to eat. After cooling, the sausages may feel a bit dry on the outside. Don't worry, as they will soften and firm up considerably after chilling.

Variation: You can shape the dough into little patties instead of links. If you don't want to use aluminum foil, you can wrap the links in damp muslin or tea towel and tie ends with cotton twine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Here's a link to a post where I did some creole tofu and stuffed portabella mushrooms for a vegetarian friend. Actually the creole tofu was pretty good. There's a good creole seasoning recipe there too.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13115.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

ExpatCanadian

NewfieSmoker, if you've got access to an Asian supermarket you may find cans of "Jackfruit" which when cooked actually bears a vague resemblance in texture to pulled pork. I experimented with it last summer for some of my own vegetarian friends, and they REALLY appreciated the effort.  I didn't feel it was as good as it could have been, but I am sure with some more experimentation I could get it right.  Here is the thread about it.... with some links for info.  It all come down to the sauce...  get that right and you'll have it cracked.  If you do try this, I'd be very interested in the results....

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10115.msg109077#msg109077

squirtthecat

I just got this recipe in an email...   Could be adapted to the Bradley, perhaps?

Polenta-Stuffed Poblano Peppers

RossP

NewfieSmoker you asked how to please a vegetarian, the answer to your question is to
convert and become a Vegan yourself.  :D I married a vegan and it took me 2 years to
convert her to eat a little meat, chicken and fish. Now here is a link that I have use some
of the recipes from. I have use the Vegan Sausage and smoked it for my son and wife.
I have also tried it and it is not bad. Lots of good vegan food that can be done in the smoker
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/
Have fun

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

NewfieSmoker

Thanks guys for all the info.  I will be trying a few of these recipes in the next couple of weeks, and I will let you know how it worked out.

Newfie
Smoke em if you got em!

Rob