New Digital 6 Rack - Questions

Started by olorin, March 25, 2010, 06:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olorin

So I just seasoned my new Bradley per the directions and I used 3 hickory bisquettes and put 2 of the aluminum pucks on the top. But after the first 20 minutes when the 2nd puck was trying to advance it wouldn't. It seems the weight of the pucks was too much. I took the smoke generator off the smoker box to see what was happening. When the unit was trying to advance the puck the weight of the pucks was making the bisquette tilt too much and it wouldn't drop down flat to the advancer thingy in order to slide it out. (I hope I'm describing this clearly) When I took the pucks off the top it advanced fine. Anyone have and know how to solve this problem?

Also, how far down do you push the bisquette stack part? I pushed it all the way down but don't know if that contributed to the problem.

Lastly, what reading is being taken at the readout to the left of where you set the temp control? Is that the reading that is in the oven? I set the temp select to 150 degrees but was getting readings ranging from 168 - 145 degrees. I assume these are simply the standard temp swings I have been reading about on this forum?

classicrockgriller

What brand pucks (BuBBA) did you get?

You have to have 3 bubba pucks to advance the last briquette.

Stack all the way down.

That is the oven reading and it sounds normal.

Temps will stablize with product and farther into the cook.

olorin

I bought the Bubba pucks from Yard and Pool. As the advancer was pulling back to allow the next bisquette to fall down, the bisquette was tilted due to the weight of the pucks and wouldn't fall down flat. As a result it could never advance. When I took the Bubba pucks the bisquettes dropped down fine.

classicrockgriller

I haven't heard of a problem with Y&P pucks.  

Kinda sounds like something isn't screwed in tight.

Take the briquettes out, put the bubba pucks in, and manually advace them to see if they advace.

when the last one reaches the burner, take it off restack it and advance it again.

I just thought of something else too.

There may be something behind the tube causing it to pinch in.

take the stack out and make sure it is debree free.

If you have too unplug the smoke generator and turn it upside down.

smokeNcanuck

I made some Alu. pucks when I first got my OBS.  I made them to a dimension I got off the net(think it was 2" dia) can't remember exactly.
When I put them in my smoke gen, I had the same problem.  I do think however that the bisquettes did advance just my home made pucks tilted and got jammed.
I measured a actual bisquett and found that my pucks were 1/4" too small in dia.  So I made three new ones just a 1/4" larger and they work like a charm.
I made mine rings(no center) to save on weight but I see the ones JT makes are solid so Im sure there is no problem with that.
Sorry, long winded you may just want to check the dia. of you pucks. As CRG said try to cycle just the pucks.
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

KevinG

I'd check the feed tube and make sure it's installed properly, I had mine hang up in there because it was turned the wrong way.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Quote from: smokeNcanuck on March 25, 2010, 07:31:56 PM
I made some Alu. pucks when I first got my OBS.  I made them to a dimension I got off the net(think it was 2" dia) can't remember exactly.
When I put them in my smoke gen, I had the same problem.  I do think however that the bisquettes did advance just my home made pucks tilted and got jammed.
I measured a actual bisquett and found that my pucks were 1/4" too small in dia.  So I made three new ones just a 1/4" larger and they work like a charm.
I made mine rings(no center) to save on weight but I see the ones JT makes are solid so Im sure there is no problem with that.
Sorry, long winded you may just want to check the dia. of you pucks. As CRG said try to cycle just the pucks.

Great thought!

If you feel like you got a problem with your bubba pucks, it won't stop you from enjoying your Bradley.

Just add 3 more brisquettes to the time you want to smoke.

One puck may get burnt alittle but you can hand place that puck as your first puck on your next smoke.

queball

I had the same problem with the pucks that I made, Someone posted the wrong dimensions on the forum. ??? They are 2 1/4 inch in diameter, Also if you don"t like the weight you can drill holes in them to lighten them up.  :D If all else fails follow CRG's advice and just run biscuits only.

hollyandtheivybhx

We had the same issue with the pucks after importing them from the states as it appears the weight is an issue. My husband drilled holes as the reply above in all of the 3 pucks and now they work like a dream  :)

Habanero Smoker

Hi olorin;

Welcome to the forum.

I've never had the problem you describe, to be caused by my Bubba Pucks. If they are causing your bisquettes to tilt, it could be your tube is not install properly, or some of your bisquettes may have been exposed to too much moisture and swelled or warped.

Check you bisquettes, they should be uniform in shape, and flat on the top. Recheck your tube and make sure that it is inserted straight. There is a post inside the hole that the tube rest on, this makes a lip for the tube sit on. Make sure that it is evenly resting on that lip. Sometimes that post gets knocked out of position during shipment, and it has to be realigned. Here is a link to cleaning the generator, the third photo shows the post that the tube rest on. Some times it can be realigned without opening the generator, other times you need to open it up. Opening the generator will not void the warranty.
How to Clean the Generator

If you use two Bubba Pucks, like I do, place bisquette on top of the Bubba Pucks, that will ensure that the Bubba Puck pushes the last burnt bisquette off the heating plate.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

olorin

Thanks everyone. Will try these different solutions this weekend and let you know what I find. I suspect it's the weight of the pucks, but we'll see.

olorin

OK - now I'm getting frustrated. I tried it with the tube all the way down and with the tube partially inserted and now the only way a bisquette drops is if there's only one in the tube. When there's multiple bisquetees or the Bubba Pucks the bottom bisquette seems to tilt too much and doesn't drop.

So now I'm babysitting my first smoke.

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Olorin

Does the collar that your feeder tube sits in look like this picture?

If it does gentley pry up on the cover and it should pop right back down.

Brian

olorin

No - it's aligned properly and appears to be centered. I've turned the tube to 4 different positions (looking down at it from above) - with the opening at 6 o'clock, 9, 12 and then 3 -  thinking that one of the positions would do the trick. None of them worked.

I can see that the machine is trying to advance the bisquettes. But when it engages they tilt but do not drop down. When only one is in the chute it works fine.

olorin

Now the one bisquette just got jammed but the machine tried again and it dropped. Perhaps the advancer is simply not going back far enough? That's what it appears to be, and logically that makes sense.

Is there a fix for this?