Finally got me a smoker!!!

Started by azamuner73, March 26, 2010, 07:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azamuner73

Just bought the 4-rack OBS last night from the local crappy tire.  It was $100 bucks off so I had to.  I still need to get bisquettes, etc and I hope to that this weekend.  Get er seasoned up and take a crack at smoking something.

What should be my 1st attempt?  Pulled pork?  Brisket?  Other?

Now that I have it, I have to go back and re-read a ton of posts on tips/tricks/temps and times, not to mention rubs, methods, mops,
marinades, injectors.  Yikes!

Any advice is welcome.

TTNuge

A nice butt makes a first great smoke.  It's hard to screw up and the rewards are pretty evident once you taste it.  Enjoy and congrats on the new purchase!

Trent

squirtthecat

Ditto.   Pork butt with give your shiny new smoker a nice coat of grease.   That'll break it in good, and you will get the feel for the temperature control, etc.

BigJohnT

... and remember that if you want 2 hours of smoke you need to add 2 extra bisquettes and that will leave you with one 1/2 burned bisquette. Or use 3 of the aluminum puck pushers to push the last bisquette off the smoke generator.

JT

smokeNcanuck

Congrats, What ever you decide on I'm sure you will not be disappointed.
Don't forget to and BEER to your supply list ;)
sNc
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

azamuner73

Quote from: BigJohnT on March 26, 2010, 08:24:27 AM
... and remember that if you want 2 hours of smoke you need to add 2 extra bisquettes and that will leave you with one 1/2 burned bisquette. Or use 3 of the aluminum puck pushers to push the last bisquette off the smoke generator.

JT

Looks like pork butt is the choice!  Gonna check Costco since all the grocery stores seem to only sell pre-cooked/smoked butts.

I don't have the bubba pucks yet, gonna put an order in for them and a few other goodies today.  They won't be here for the 1st smoke but I want to test it to make sure it's working properly. 

JT-MO

My first smoke not to many months back was a pork butt. Seasoned up with some mccormick pork rub, put into the smoker with 4 hours of hickory smoke. Many hours later when the internal temp got to 190 or so, I pulled it out and it was very good, left overs are even better!

MPTubbs

My first butt was very good!

Easy enuff to do.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

azamuner73

I was thinking of using a proven recipe on my 1st attempt rather than experiment...that will come later.

I'm liking the looks of Habs Pulled Pork and Sauce recipe.  Just a few ingredients (I have them all at home already minus the rice vinegar)

I might do this as a sandwich with crusty buns and homemade coleslaw with a side of sweet potato fries.

classicrockgriller

Congrats aza on getting that monkey (ticket) off your back and

spending that $$ on something that will pay you back for years.

Soon you will be in a new world and be addicted like the rest of us.

Butts work great for a first smoke or any smoke. Lots of things you

can do to them. I have never had a bad Butt. Just give youself

enough time to do it right.

Your menu sounds perfect, what time is supper? ;D

ArnieM

Sounds like you have a plan there aza.  As CRG said, give yourself enough time.  Much better to FTC for a few hours than not have it done when you want it.  Looking forward to pics.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Whatchasmokin

Congrats on your new purchase. Sounds like you got a great deal and have a great plan. The butt is a great choice for the first smoke. Also, try tenpoint5's method on ribs. They are fantastic.  ;D ;D
The time to hesitate is through............James Douglas Morrison

OU812

Sweet, congrats on your new member to the family.

Cant wait to see and here all the goodness comein out of your new baby.