Which puck for Seasoning

Started by powrsmoker, March 26, 2010, 05:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powrsmoker

I am going to season the unit tonight, which puck should I use?  I bought the 60 pack variety that has:

-Alder
-Hickory
-Special Blend
-Cherry
-Maple

I have ruled out using hickory and cherry and maple, I don't know much about alder and special blend so I am going to use one of those. 

RossP

Use the special blend, Alder is great for fish, but
that is just my humble opinion, a more qualified
member will be along shortly. ;)

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Scotty-G

Special Blend is perfect for seasoning.

Try Kummok's salmon with the Alder - Won't be disappointed

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.0

ArnieM

I'm not sure why you've ruled some out.  Hickory is medium-strong, a nice wood.  Alder is kinda traditional for Alaskan salmon.  It's a local wood.  The others you mentioned are kinda sweet.

The bottom line is, heat it up and burn out any manufacturing oils.  The darker it gets (and it will) the better.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

powrsmoker

Quote from: ArnieM on March 26, 2010, 09:09:26 PM
I'm not sure why you've ruled some out.  Hickory is medium-strong, a nice wood.  Alder is kinda traditional for Alaskan salmon.  It's a local wood.  The others you mentioned are kinda sweet.

The bottom line is, heat it up and burn out any manufacturing oils.  The darker it gets (and it will) the better.

Those are the ones I like, I just want to find the most useless flavour of the variety pack and waste that on the seasoning process.  Special blend seems to be a popular choice for seasoning.

Habanero Smoker

Yeah! Special Blend seems to be the Rodney Dangerfield of the bisquettes. I still have some left, I may give it another chance.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Scotty-G

Quote from: powrsmoker on March 26, 2010, 10:05:49 PM
just want to find the most useless flavour of the variety pack and waste that on the seasoning process.  Special blend seems to be a popular choice for seasoning.

Exactly

KevinG

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 27, 2010, 01:52:42 AM
Yeah! Special Blend seems to be the Rodney Dangerfield of the bisquettes. I still have some left, I may give it another chance.

Hey, I resemble that remark.  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Paddlinpaul

I didn't know what o use the special blend on so I did that too. Still not sure after all the reading here I've done. I use my alder to make smoked gravlox recipe from the cookbook that came with the OBS. I had to go buy a box of alder to make more of it.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

JT-MO

I used hickory for seasoning. Then again I don't ever plan on smoking fish, etc.. Just pork, beef, jerkey, and sausage.