Weekend Smoke

Started by SnellySmokesEm, March 26, 2010, 07:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

Finally, Time to get the smoke rolling.  ;D  My family is in town for my son's first Birthday and I am having a BBQ Sat. @ 2:00.  On the Menu:  Beef Brisket and Pulled Pork.
9LB Boston Butt Rubbed with Adobo/Chili Rub overnight

Mustard slatered on the butt

12.5 Packer Rubbed with Fat Fred's Dry Rub

Packer slatered with mustard, It's going to be a tight squeeze

3:30 First in, Pastrami and Butt (I had to throw in a small corned beef flat so my pops could try some Pastrami  ;D ;D)

7:30 After 4hrs Aldar Smoke. Pastrami (IT 150) Butt IT 220  Time to put in the Brisket.

Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

NewfieSmoker

Hey that looks great!  Very envious right now!  We had some company come for a visit with only 24 hours notice.  I took one of my Pork Shoulders outta the freezer, thawed, and roasted in oven.  Turned out great, but would have been better in the Bradley.

Again, Very nice lookin!

Newfie
Smoke em if you got em!

Rob

ArnieM

Oh, yeah.  Looks good.  I don't think I can make it down to Sarasota in time  >:(

You might want to consider a larger smoker - maybe a used Volvo  ??? ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Looking Good Snelly!

Will be watchin to see how's it going.

Hope you guys have a great B-Day party for your Son.

Batman of BBQ

Nice Snelly!  did you say 2:00pm....I'll be there!  ;D
Don't want to be the best in the world, just the best in my neighborhood.

1 OBS, Nuff Said

SnellySmokesEm

Pastrami is ready for FTC

Butt after 8 hours and Brisket after 6 hours

The Cow gets an overnite bath

7:30AM 12 hours and IT 195.  Time for FTC

7:30AM 14 hours and IT 150.  
BBQ Evangelist

KevinG

Mighty fine looken eats there Snelly!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ronbeaux

That just has to be good!!!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

classicrockgriller

Go Snelly, Go!

Yes Sir, Looking mighty fine.

ArnieM

Looks GREAT Snelly! 

I'm just having some left over DIY corned beef tonight.  I was gonna make the point into pastrami but there was too much screamin' for more corned beef.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Snelly did you ftc that butt after 14hours and an IT of 150*? or was that a typo on the last pic?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 27, 2010, 03:39:50 PM
Snelly did you ftc that butt after 14hours and an IT of 150*? or was that a typo on the last pic?

I think he was just stating that at 7:30 the IT was 150*

He didn't plan on eating till 2 to 4 today.

SnellySmokesEm

Thanks for all the replies.  It was a typo on the pork and the ftc.  I have been so busy this weekend and haven't had time to finish the thread.  I'll post the rest of the pics later and share my experience with you guys.
BBQ Evangelist

SnellySmokesEm

Here's the finished products.
Pulled Pork IT 187 after 23hours

This was a stubborn butt.  I couldn't the the IT to the desired 195 and had no time to ftc.  The bone pulled out with some mild effort and it pulled fine, just not as easy as I would have liked it.  The being said, this was absolutely the best boston butt I have ever smoked.  My parents (who live in Texas) could not stop talking about it.  The bark was unbelievable and once it was mixed in with the rest of the pork it tasted phenominal.  I am actually freezing the leftovers so my mom can put in her suitcase and take back to texas with her.  WOW is all I can say!  Here's a quick summary:  Injected with CAjun Injectors Creole Garlic.  Rubbed with Adobo/Chili rub overnight and then slatherd with mustard.  Smoked with 8 hours of Aldar for a total of 23 hours.  I also basted with my version of the cowboy braise throughout the cook.  Once pulled and put in the crock pot I added one bottle of Pat's Ho-Made BBQ sauce.
BBQ Evangelist

SnellySmokesEm

And Now the Brisket.   :-\ :-\ :-\

I'm not sure what happened to the brisket this time.  It turned out dry and I was not very happy with the finished results at all.  Here's how it all went down:  Injected with Cajun Injectors Creole Garlic and rubbed with Fat Fred's Dry Rub and left in the fridge overnight.  Slathered with mustard.  Smoked for 4 hours with Alder.  After 7 hours it went into the braise but I had to put it into the oven at 200 because the pan was too big for the ES.  After 12hrs total cook time the brisket's IT was at 195.  I pulled it out of the braise and ftc'd for 7 hours and the IT went down to 140.  I then put the brisket with some of the braise wrapped in foil into the oven for 1 hour at 200 and 45min at 300 to reheat and got the IT back to 165 before I sliced it.  I'm not sure what caused the dryness.  Whether it was the braise, the long ftc or the reheat.  Maybe it was the cut I bought that was long and thick?  I am guessing it was the reheat.  I think I should have left it in the FTC and sliced at the lower temp.  One thing I did notice when I sliced the brisket was that the mustard was still soft so I think that I should not have slathered if it was going to be braised.
BBQ Evangelist