PID?/2nd Heating Element?

Started by imzappa, March 23, 2010, 04:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imzappa

New here. OBS, extra racks and high temp screens on the way! By looking at posts here, it looks like a PID is a no brain-er. But, which one? Electrically and mechanically inclined, so building one IS an option. Would a dual probe be advantageous? While we're @ it, how about a second heating element, pros/cons?  Thanks for any advice.

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the Forum zap.

If you add a second elemnt, it is strongly suggested that you add the pid to control it.

I have both and I like it.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum imzappaz!

If you live where it gets cold, the second element will help
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

imzappa

The purpose of the 2nd element is for what? To bring the temp up quicker? More consistant temp? BTW, thank you all for the warm welcome!

imzappa

Will insulating the OBS help/hurt the smoker?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: imzappa on March 23, 2010, 05:14:03 PM
The purpose of the 2nd element is for what? To bring the temp up quicker? More consistant temp? BTW, thank you all for the warm welcome!

Yes and yes. Both.

Quote from: imzappa on March 23, 2010, 05:15:48 PM
Will insulating the OBS help/hurt the smoker?

It really has enough insulation and the second element with a pid will give you real tight control over the smoker.

imzappa

Habanero Smoker

Here is a link that describes the differences between the single and duel probe PIDs.
Plug & Play PIDs

Here is a link to how to install the second element:
Additional Heating Element

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Captainslug

I have yet to collect all my pieces to put in a second element and I am waiting for the dual PID to be available,  but I plan to put in a rocker switch to have the ability to shut off the second element.  This allows me to use a single element and have the DBS control when I do not need such precise temperature control and also have dual elements with the PID controlling it when I need that extra control on temperature.  Best of both worlds!  ;D  All I have to do is be aware of my rocker switch position.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID

GusRobin

Quote from: Captainslug on March 24, 2010, 02:35:03 PM
I have yet to collect all my pieces to put in a second element and I am waiting for the dual PID to be available,  but I plan to put in a rocker switch to have the ability to shut off the second element.  This allows me to use a single element and have the DBS control when I do not need such precise temperature control and also have dual elements with the PID controlling it when I need that extra control on temperature.  Best of both worlds!  ;D  All I have to do is be aware of my rocker switch position.

Hab made a post about adding a switch to the second element that is the same bradley switch that lights up when on which makes it easy to know when it is on.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: GusRobin on March 24, 2010, 06:34:23 PM
Quote from: Captainslug on March 24, 2010, 02:35:03 PM

Hab made a post about adding a switch to the second element that is the same bradley switch that lights up when on which makes it easy to know when it is on.

It is the same switch that is on the OBS and you can get it at Yard & Pool or Bradley.