Fileting Salmon Or Trout

Started by Remington, May 15, 2005, 09:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington

Any suggestion from you fishermen as to how to filet a trout or salmon? All my attempts have produced several bones. I'm trying to get them boneless. Any sites with pictures would be great as well.

Remington

Oldman

Well where I live at we don't have salmon. However, boy do we have trout! Specks and Silvers.

First you got to have one very sharp filet knive. The kind that will shave the hair off of your arm.

Next, take a fork and stick it into the gill of the fish. This will help you hold it. Take the knife and from below the head at a slight angle against the back bone work your knife towards the tail.

Now flip the piece over and repeat the above but this time against the skin. Becareful not to cut the skin.

This takes a little practice, but trout are so easy to once you get the basics down.

Sorry no pictures.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

tsquared

Here is a good link explaining filleting.
http://salmonuniversity.com/ol_htfs_intro.html
The one thing that I would get if you are filleting fish larger than about 12 lbs is to get a larger knife than what is typically sold as a filleting knife. A larger one will enable you to neatly cut through the pin bones of the bigger fish, thus making a neater, cleaner looking fillet.
Tom

Remington

Great site with allot of information. Once fall rolls around and I start catching Steelhead and Salmon I'll be in business. Thanks again.

Remington

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

tsquared

Hey Rob--are you still coldsmoking the salmon for your local deli? I did try Spyguys method and loved the texture. My question is do you ever mess around with the spices and try and jazz it up a little? I'm of two minds about it. It's like flavouring in excellent coffee--why mess with an already good taste. On the other hand, I love spicing up food...Thoughts?
Tom

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tsquared</i>
<br />Hey Rob--are you still coldsmoking the salmon for your local deli? I did try Spyguys method and loved the texture. My question is do you ever mess around with the spices and try and jazz it up a little? I'm of two minds about it. It's like flavouring in excellent coffee--why mess with an already good taste. On the other hand, I love spicing up food...Thoughts?
Tom
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
only thing i have changed is the brown surger and the salt , i go to one of those warehouse food places and buy the 25lb bag of meaduum dark brown surger for $10 and a 25lbs bag of table non iodine salt for $3 a bag on the recipe keep the sureger the same but i weigh the salt out, still taste the same but alot cheaper, and also i use the cheap maple surype, but 2 cups , cant tell the diferance in the taste,

bighoof

There is magazine called Salmon Trout Stealheader, this month's issue has a pretty good article called "Ultimate Fillet Method" I might try it next time.

whitetailfan

How about a demo from Mr. Wade Bradley himself?
Go to the main Bradley page, and there is a video recipe of Wade Bradley's hot smoked salmon.  He starts the video by filleting the fish.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">How about a demo from Mr. Wade Bradley himself?
Go to the main Bradley page, and there is a video recipe of Wade Bradley's hot smoked salmon. He starts the video by filleting the fish.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Everytime I've tried that video it never downloads.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MWS

I tried the ugly approach and butterflied my salmon. It actually worked quite well. After the salmon was finished in the smoker, the bones were easily pulled out. I then removed the salmon in chunks from the skin. It wasn't pretty, but for me the alternative was wrecking a good salmon.  Some day I'll learn to filet.

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

oguard

Mike it takes some practice.I have almost destroyed some salmon I've done but it helps to practice on some cheap ones like pinks.Save on or safeway put them on sale during the season.

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">Mike</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.