Buckboard Bacon

Started by DLT, March 07, 2004, 01:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLT

I just finished my first batch of bacon.It turned out pretty good.I have a question about curing time.On the directions it says to cure for 10 days.I have some more meat that has been curing for 6 days and was going to smoke it up now.Is this a good idea or does it absolutely need to cure for 10 days?
DLT.

Richard Pearce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DLT</i>
<br />I just finished my first batch of bacon.It turned out pretty good.I have a question about curing time.On the directions it says to cure for 10 days.I have some more meat that has been curing for 6 days and was going to smoke it up now.Is this a good idea or does it absolutely need to cure for 10 days?
DLT.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I did mine for 3 weeks and it only tasted better; I recommend that you don't rush it but, of course, I have never tried it after 6 days so it might be interesting to see how it tastes.
btw, always rinse the meat!!!!

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

DLT

Richard,
I found that the piece I had was a little on the salty side.After I took it out of the fridge,I soaked it in cold water for about one hour.Then took it out,rinsed it once more and then let it sit for one hour before putting it in the smoker.Is it salty because I didn't rinse it long enough.How long do you usually soak it for?I had this problem with a salmon I smoked as well.Maybe I'm getting in too big a hurry.
Darryl
Red Deer,Alberta.

Richard Pearce

<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font color="navy"></font id="navy">
Morning Darryl
I have some pork in the fridge right now that is going to get around 3 weeks. Then it's getting a 6 hour rinse with quite a few water changes.
If I have any complaint it's that the Buckboard can be too salty. If it is too salty for your liking, try rinsing the slices for 15 or so minutes. I rinsed some slices on my last one for an hour in error and it became completely flavourless!
Richard

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

trout

Just finished my batch of smoked pork chops.  I used Buckboard bacon cure on 2 pork loins, cured 10 days, soaked for an hour, rinsed and set another hour, then smoked to 140F with apple wood smoke.  Very tasty, not too salty at all.  I am cutting them thick and will be freezing them to toss on the grill later.  I think with some charred grill marks they will be even better.

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

MallardWacker

Trout,

You WILL enjoy the grilled bacon.  I like it better than frying it.  I cut my about 3/8 thick.  Worked great.  Glad you joined the bacon makin folks.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...