Turkey Up

Started by oakville smoker, March 30, 2010, 09:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

Well its not up but still in the fridge
Its about a 12 pounder and destined for the smoker
I am inclined to brine this baby, I did at Christmas and it turned out good

I am thinking 8 to 1 water to salt, add some citrus, garlic, pepper, brown sugar, onion, cranberries
Bring to a boil and cool off with some ice

Let rest and inject with garlic butter or something like that to flavor the butter

2 or 3 day brine or is that too long?  This is going to the smoker Sunday after golf   ( HEEEEEEEEE  HHEEEEEEEEE  ) cannot wait
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Ka Honu

A cup of salt for two quarts of water may be a bit much (unless you're planning on cooling it with a lot of ice).  Most call for a cup per gallon although I usually go even a bit lighter than that.  Overnight brine should be plenty, especially if you plan on injecting which will add even more moisture.  Brine Saturday evening and it'll be ready to go when you get home from golf.

ArnieM

I agree with KH.  The 'standard', if there is such a thing, is a gallon of water, a cup of Kosher/Sea salt and a half cup of some sorta sugar.  You're on your own from there with spices.  I also might go a little lighter on the salt.

If I recall correctly, there was a post a while back regarding the cranberries.  I don't think they added much to the party.

A 24 hour brine should be fine.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

oakville smoker

Thanks
I was initially thinking 8 cups of water to 1 cup salt but will adjust and go even lighter than that
I am not a big fan of turkey but this makes it almost edible for me

All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

sodak

I'll try to post pics.  But, I have had two turkeys brining (along with a couple of boneless breasts and an extra chicken 'cause there was room in the two five gallon pails) since Monday morning.

Here is the brine I am using:

5 gallons of water
2 pounds kosher salt
1 pound InstaCure #1
2 pounds Dark Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
2 Tablespoon Maple Flavoring (can leave out if you wish)
1 teaspoon liquid smoke (can leave out if you wish)

Brine for 4 to 5 days at 38-40 degrees.  Rinse very well in cold water.  Then rinse again.
into smoker at 130 for an hour vent wide open.  Smoke for 4-5 hours at 140 with 25% vent.  Then bump up to 165 to IT of 160. 

It will be the BEST tasting turkey you have EVER consumed in your life!  Not salty at all.  Very moist.  You can eat it cold, but my wife likes to put into a roaster and bring it up to 'normal' turkey serving temps.

And, yes, the recipe calls for a pound of InstaCure #1.  Don't let that freak you out like it did me the first time.

Good luck!

sodak

By the way - this recipe is a variation of Rytek's - done it before and it is really, really, good.

oakville smoker

1 pound of Instacure sounds insane
I do happen to have some curing salt in the fridge that is about a pound that I had from salami making a couple of months ago
Maybe I should try this

sodak

It does sound insane.  But, after verifying this on the board (Habs and other vets were instrumental in eliminating my doubts) it is one pound of InstaCure #1...in the five gallons of water. 

Take a leap of faith on this one!

Habanero Smoker

For brining that is about the amount I use. I generally only make one gallon of brine at a time, so I use about 3 ounces. So if you look at it from that point of view, approximately 3 ounces per gallon; it doesn't seem that much.

Sodak;

I don't generally use a cure for poultry, but I have some friends that are harassing me to  make State Fair Turkey Legs. They are smoke cured turkey legs. I think I will have to give in this year; they worn me down. I think I'm going to use your recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sodak

Habs,

Too funny.  I put what looked like a dinosaur (turkey) leg in the bucket on Monday as well. Ran into a buddy at the store and told him what I was doing.  He tossed the package into the cart and said "brine this!"  My original plan was to start taking the birds out of the bucket, and then, in front of my wife, just lift the leg out and tell her the InstaCure must have eaten away the rest of the bird! Brining will be done tomorrow evening. 

Now I have to take pictures!

oakville smoker

Getting ready to mix up the brine now
I am doing this and will add some citrus flavors for some  extra zip

sodak

oakville smoker

The bird is in the brine
I need a bigger brine container though !
But I will get by

Now the waiting .......

KevinG

It might be a little late for you now, but I use a five gallon bucket that you can get from Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace Hardware, and line it with the XL ziplock bags you can get at Walmart. Then put your brine and turkey in that, and place that in a cooler with ice (or your fridge if it's big enough).
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

oakville smoker

That is a great idea
I think I will have to out this in a cooler anyways as we are expecting a mini heat wave the next couple of days
and this baby will not fit in the fridge

I usually dont do birds this big but this is the second one in a year
I will have to do something