10.5/nepas Ham

Started by NePaSmoKer, April 01, 2010, 04:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Well i got the ham from the brine yesterday morning. All rinsed and a few hour cold water bath until around 6pm. Talking with Chris i decided to go this way (kinda away from my poll post)

Hung the ham in my 6 rack at 6:45 pm. Temp with my PID was set at 120* for 12 hours. I backed this time up with the number 2 setting at 130* for 5 hours. (just in case i slept in)

No smoke.

Time of this pic was 7:15am.

Being i dont have any hickory pucks left, Im going this way with the hickory for 5 hours. Got the fat cap up so it helps keep the meat moist.

Tenpoint5

Hickory for 5 hours? should be 8
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sodak

Mouth watering profusely...

NePaSmoKer

Put a foil pan of water in to keep it moist.

Tenpoint5

Looks like it taking on some nice color. Where's the smoke? and stop peeking, it will be done when it is done!! ;D

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

doesn't the MAK make smoke?  ;)

NePaSmoKer

Time of this photo was 3:39 pm. IT of ham at 141*

pensrock

Its getting close and boy does it look good.  :)

NePaSmoKer

squirtthecat

Nice!  What did your MAK run at the entire time?   What was the final IT of the hammy?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: squirtthecat on April 01, 2010, 03:49:04 PM

Nice!  What did your MAK run at the entire time?   What was the final IT of the hammy?

MAK held staedy at 170 then 180 to 190*

IT at pull time was 159*

Tenpoint5

Ok I know what the IT was but I haven't heard HOW DOES IT TASTE? or should I say Did it taste?

pensrock

Tenpoint5

Looking at the pictures a little closer I have to ask since I know you did it. What did you mop the ham with Nepas? Hmmmm??

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 01, 2010, 07:53:31 PM
Looking at the pictures a little closer I have to ask since I know you did it. What did you mop the ham with Nepas? Hmmmm??

Ya know i was going to do it but i didnt. Maybe it was the 3 T of brown sugar i put in the foil pan.

And yes i was very tempted to cut and taste but i didnt. When i took it from the rib rack there was a small chunk stuck so i got it. Taste is pretty darn good  ;D....Nice work Rick N Chris