19.5 lb turkey-16 lb big easy?

Started by Quarlow, April 02, 2010, 08:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

RossP

Q I have a hand grinder you can borrow. I am looking for a stuffer myself. Let me know if you want to use the grinder. I am heading out early tomorrow for a day on the lake with my fly rod.  ;D
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Quarlow

Ok so here are the pic's of how I managed this escapade. First I tied this big albatross up so his little wings and legs wouldn't get too charred.

Then I inserted a big metal rod right through him. Muuwaahaha. Ok I used my rotiserre rod from the BBQ.

I only ran the rod threw to stick out about 2" and then stuck that into the drain hole in the bottom.

Then I used bailing wire to hold the rod in the center away from the sides as best as I could.

Then I snipped a couple of wires from the screen cover so that I could slide it over the rod having taken the wood handle off of the rod.

Here's how it looked all set to go.

I am working on a cross bar to replace the wire and allow it to keep it centered. Plus it will let the turkey just hang inside so I can adjust it up and down. When I had the rod sticking in the hole it somewhat plugged it and I had to lift it up and down every so often so the juices would drain. So hanging it will eliminate this problem. And here is the finished product.

You can see it was a little close on the thighs but overall it worked pretty darn good and it came out juice and awesome.

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

NePaSmoKer

FLBentRider

Nice job.

Love the bailing wire, didn't need the chewing gum.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BuyLowSellHigh

Very creative solution.  It's the vertical chicken roaster on steroids.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

squirtthecat

Bailing wire!  A man after my own farm boy heart...

Where is the duct tape and WD-40?

Quarlow

Quote from: squirtthecat on May 20, 2010, 04:32:21 AM

Bailing wire!  A man after my own farm boy heart...

Where is the duct tape and WD-40?

I save the duct tape for when I run out of ideas. And WD-40....well watch where you step and what you brush against, it's on everything. ;) ;)

OBS
BBQ

ArnieM

Good lookin' bird Q.  Glad you could fit it in there.  Basting with WD-40 was also a good idea.  Sometimes I prefer Liquid Wrench, kinda tangy though.

Have fun cuz'.  Get a truck yet?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

Thanks cuz. Yup the truck is bought but not available till mid June which is about when I will be able to go back to work.YEAH.

OBS
BBQ

KevinG

Good to hear Q! Things finally looking up!!!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

Quote from: Quarlow on May 20, 2010, 04:47:38 PM
Thanks cuz. Yup the truck is bought but not available till mid June which is about when I will be able to go back to work.YEAH.

Good for you cuz.  Is this the one with 1.5 million miles on it?

Take it easy and do your PT.  Wishing you the best.
-- Arnie

Quarlow

Well this is a 2005 Freightliner Columbia 228,000 miles which works out to about 46,000 miles a year. I found this truck local that is owned by a guy who has four trucks and just work mostly local and also is a driver so he has maintain it in top condition with PM(preventative maintenance) programs since it was new. The ones my boss was looking at buying out of the states were the same year trucks and had 700,000 to 800,000 miles which works out to 140,000 miles a year. They were own by companys that have 100 to 200 truck fleets. Now these trucks are maintained well but you don't know how much abuse they have suffered by drivers that may be there just to collect a pay check. And of course with that many miles everything is loose and rattley and worn out. You can pretty much bet the first year you own it, you will spend a lot of time in the shop. The one he got was not quite twice the money but it is only at 25% of its life used where the others are at 85%. Once I explained this to the boss his old drivers instinct kick back in and he saw it my way.  I am scanning a pic of it and will post it in a bit.

OBS
BBQ

ArnieM

Just send me a PM cuz.  We're kinda OT already  :D
-- Arnie

hal4uk

Did anyone alert all the Awful Waffle Gals that Q is gonna be on the prowl again?   8)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby