Jerky racks or standard racks

Started by oakrdrzfan, April 03, 2010, 07:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakrdrzfan

I need some extra racks for doing jerky and or lots of ribs.  I have read that there have been problems with the coating coming off of the  jerky racks.  Is this still a problem?

I have not done jerky before...What is wrong with doing jerky on a standard rack?  Looks like the mesh is tight enough. 

thoughts...tia

TTNuge

Regular racks and frog mats for me.  But I never tried the jerky racks.

Up In Smoke

I do not know about the jerky racks, i took others advise and went with frog mats.
no reason you cannot use just the regular racks other than if you do not coat them well
with something to keep it from sticking it will weld itself to the racks.
and i mean WELD.... >:( >:( >:(
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

oakrdrzfan

Quote from: Up In Smoke on April 03, 2010, 09:12:03 AM
I do not know about the jerky racks, i took others advise and went with frog mats.
no reason you cannot use just the regular racks other than if you do not coat them well
with something to keep it from sticking it will weld itself to the racks.
and i mean WELD.... >:( >:( >:(

I typically use Pam spray on my racks.  I assume that would work for jerky as well?

KevinG

I've had my jerky racks for 7 months now and haven't had a problem with the coating coming off.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

pullinpork

I had my jerky racks for about 2 years before the coating started to come off. Now i use the frog mats.

pensrock

I have the jerky racks and none of the coating has come off yet. I also have the frog mats and love them. Given a choice I would go with regular racks and frog mats.

Slamdunk

Yes, spraying them with PAM will help.

One of the reasons for using the frogmats is that they prevent the jerky from slipping through the rack mesh, although I have done a bunch on the regular racks without too many problems.

NePaSmoKer

Same here, Went through 3 sets of jerky racks and they all peeled. Save em though for extras.

I use mats now on the racks.

lumpy

Ditto on above. I've gone through 2 sets of "coated" racks and they have all peeled. Now I just use the regular racks with frog mats (high temp jerky screens) from Yard and Pool.

Lumpy

oakrdrzfan

Thanks for the replies.  Just bought the regular racks and will try with Pam spray.  If that doesnt work then will invest in the frog mats too.