Bubba Pucks Problem

Started by flac203, April 04, 2010, 09:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flac203

Has anyone had any problems with the Bubba Pucks from Yard and Pool? It seems when stacking 3 on top of my wood bisquettes, they add a little too much weight and the auto feed mechanism isn't pushing out the bisquettes every 20 minutes. Anyone else... has anyone drilled out the centers to lighten up the weight or are there any other pucks that aren't as heavy?

oakrdrzfan

I have never had a problem with mine. 

TTNuge

Mine aren't Yard and Pool pucks but I've noticed that if I've already got a full stack of bisquettes in there.  If I wait until there are just a few bisquettes left and then add the "cheap ebay bubba puck look-alikes" then I don't have the problem.  Not sure if mine are heavier than the real deal or not but I partly blame myself for buying cheap.  I do believe I have heard of others drilling out their puck savers before.

Quarlow

Yeah guys take them and drill the crap out of them. Drill in the flat and then drill in from the sides. It will take a heck of a lot of weight out of them and should help you out.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

GusRobin

I have an OBS and have had a stack almost full of bisquettes and 3 yard and pool bubbas and have not had a problem. Is you feeder clean? sometimes the feeder tray gets a build up.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

BigJohnT

These are pretty light and purdy too...

They started out like this...

Like others have said is your smoke generator thingy full of chips? I give mine a shake out after the smoke.

JT

begolf25

flac203,

Sorry for the problem you are having with your pucks.

While John T's pucks are pretty you shouldn't need to drill out the Bubba Pucks to reduce the weight for them to achieve the designed purpose. There are a few things that could be wrong with the generator that could be causing this issue. You may want to check out this thread.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=15131.0

If you continue to have a problem with the Bubba Pucks and are not satisfied please let me know and we will make sure to take care of you.

Bryan

Kummok

While I am definitely one of those danged "drill here, drill now" Alaskans  ;) , based upon my own experience, I think blaming jams on BPs being 'too fat' and drilling away on them is a waste of time and effort and diverts from the more accurate solution, as pointed out by Gusrobin/JT/Bryan, being regular cleaning/maintenance of the puck advance mechanism/ramp.

I've gone through literally thousands of cycles w/ 'The Original Bubba Puck' and their weight has never caused a problem with any of my four Bradleys. I normally cycle full loads of bisquettes in the puck holder with BPs on top and, while the wood does jam sometimes, the BPs have never jammed. In all cases of jamming, it has been dirty ramps/advance linkage/"gummy" advance button which worked properly again after cleaning.

That being said, I WILL go on record and say that even though I'm the inventor of the original BP AND I still have enough original BPs left up here to last several lifetimes, one-of-these-days I'm gonna forgo a giant $40 something 'Fat Olive' pizza, stash the saved $$$ away and order a set of JT's puck advance chips just cuz they are so doggoned cool looking!!

Note to TTnuge
Just a head's up....I'd get rid of those "cheap ebay bubba puck look-alikes"....I've heard a rumor that they're made from compressed atlantic farmed salmon remains and that, when left alone in a dark garage, they grow arms/legs and crawl over into your freezer and spoil all your meat and stuff that you've saved up for smoking....just a rumor mind you but who knows?!?!?!?  ;) ;) ;D

Cker

I have had the same problem, and my smoke generator is NOT dirty. I find if I let the pucks run down until only 1 is left and then add the BP's all goes well. Thinking about drill bay drill on them, as it may not be the BP's size as much as a difference in the thickness in the wood pucks which with the extra weight of the BP's causes problems.

Does that make sense?

Bavind

I picked up a set of pucks from Auber the same time I ordered my pid. They are a aluminum ring and I have used them dozens of times on long smokes and have had no issues with them.

flac203

Thanks for the help all. I will open up and completely clean out the advance system tomorrow. I didn't actually have a problem with the Bubba Pucks, they advanced just fine, the problem was with the wood pucks not advancing with the weight of the Bubba Pucks on top of 10 wood pucks. When I placed the Bubbas on top of the final 2 pucks it seemed to work ok. I'll see tomorrow if the advance was dirty. Thanks again.
Frank.... a new guy!

BigJohnT

I also used these with no problem other than the advance button sticking.

JT

flac203

thanks again everyone for the help, It seems the advance mechanism is sticking sometimes even when empty. The tray will slide about halfway and then slide forward... it's as clean as a whistle (I have only done 3 smokes). Bradley is sending me another advance mechanism today. Should be an easy fix. Thanks again.
Frank