Need thick tomato based (Kansas city ?) BBQ sauce recipe

Started by GusRobin, April 03, 2010, 01:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Anyone have a good recipe for a thick BBQ sauce - spicy or mild?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

EZ Smoker

Hi, Gus.   Sorry to be so slow to answer.   Here's a link to a recipe for a KC style barbecue sauce based on tomato, ketchup white vinegar and molasses.   My wife and I tried it once.  It thickened up nicely, and tasted very good after the flavors melded.   

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/kansascitystyle.html
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: EZ Smoker on May 26, 2010, 10:18:55 AM
Hi, Gus.   Sorry to be so slow to answer.   Here's a link to a recipe for a KC style barbecue sauce based on tomato, ketchup white vinegar and molasses.   My wife and I tried it once.  It thickened up nicely, and tasted very good after the flavors melded.   

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/kansascitystyle.html

In fact, I can also recommend this recipe as my personal favourite KC style.  I've tweaked it a bit, I do normally double the onion and garlic, and I use cider vinegar.  Normal Heinz ketchup and whatever tomato paste I happen to have.  I also make sure to simmer it for at least 1 1/2 hours to get it nice and thick otherwise it's just too runny.   Your first instinct may be to NOT add all that water....  but trust me, it seems to be necessary and when I've tried to shortcut the thickening by not adding it, the sauce just isn't the same.  It reduces down nicely and it all comes together in the fridge overnight.

Good luck!

GusRobin