Cold Smoke Ribeye Steaks

Started by Tommy3Putts, April 04, 2010, 03:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy3Putts

No stealth smoking needed here.  SWMBO picked up a pack of four huge Ribeyes from Costco.  I wanted to do some experimenting so on two of them I lightly seasoned with hickory smoked salt and a pepper blend, one with my rub blend, and the fourth with no seasoning at all.  I put them in the bradley with 1 hour 20 minutes of hickory (the oven was off of course).  I then put them on my webber gas grill and cooked to a nice Rare-medium rare.  All I can say is they were OUTSTANDING.  My wife says the were the best steaks she's ever had. All four different varieties worked well.  We agreed the best was the one with the rub (paprika, brown sugar, salt, onion, garlic powder etc...).  But if you have someone who doesn't like salt the one with no seasoning was awesome also. 

For all you steak lovers out there this is a must try.  "Steak" is my middle name.  A long time ago, in another life, I was in the restaurant business.  These steaks literally were some of the best I've ever had.

Couple of observations.  I put ice in the metal bowl and in a separate glass bowl. I left the seasoned steaks in the fridge until I put them in the smoker.  I did not use a cold smoke adapter. The outdoor temp was mid to high 70s and the chamber stayed around 75-80.  In the humid summer months.  I'm guessing I'll need a cold smoke adapter to keep the temps down.  I will try with NY/KC strip sirloin steaks but I'm guessing Ribeyes, because of the fat content will work best for this. 

I'm sold on this method.  Instead of letting the steaks sit out and get ready for the grill throw them in the smoker for an hour and a half.  You wont be disappointed!!!

Wildcat

IMHO they will be even better if you wrap them in plastic wrap and put back into fridge for an overnight rest after cold smoking smoking in the Bradley.

For me, it is the next best thing to do with steaks. I personally prefer to cook steaks over a hard wood fire with or without charcoal.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

stillsmoking

Thanks Tommy and Wildcat for the descriptions.  The only thing I have cold smoked is cheese.  We don't do steak all that often but do enjoy a good ribeye from time to time.  I like to do my steaks over some hot charcoal with wood chips but cold smoking could be the ticket.

Tommy3Putts

I agree that charcoal or wood can add extra flavor.  But I've always had great success with the webber gas grill.  Fifteen minutes to warm up no fuss with charcoal and starter fluids. I also have greater ability to control the temperatures. Just a personal preference is all.

But one thing we agree on is that the bradley with hickory sends steaks to a different level.  These are way good.  I may try the wrapping in plastic wrap maneuver. 

stillsmoking

I have a Weber also Tommy but am a charcoal purist. I do have the propane to start my charcoal so I don't need to fool around with lighter fluid but that is as far as I can go.  Greater temp control could be a bonus but gosh do you still get to grab a beer a check how things are going with propane?  Gotta plan ahead for the charcoal, it does have it's advantages.

I will probably try the steak both ways and I can see taking this a little further with a nice chuck roast.  Again thanks to all for the information.

FLBentRider

I've got a Chargriller duo - Gas side for a quick cook, side burner for starting the chimney for the charcoal side.

I'm still coveting a pellet grill...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!