Brisket rubdown experiment

Started by FLBentRider, April 06, 2010, 09:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I'm going to buy a brisket flat, cut it in half.

One half will get a rub and the 24 hour wrap spa treatment.

The other half will get the rub 30 minutes before going in the smoker.

I will have my family do a taste test.

stay tuned.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

oakville smoker

Drum roll please .......................
This should be interesting.  I am really interested in the result
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

OU812

I have been doin the rub, salt pepper garlic and onion powder, then smoke for years with the brisket.

I dont think the rub gets any deeper in the meat 24 hr before than it does 30 min before the smoke.

I will be waitin for the results of your experiment.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

I hope we all haven't been taking up valuable fridge space for nothing  ;)  Looking forward to the results.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

I'll wager there will be no significant taste in the two.

Thanks for doing this FLBR.

FLBentRider

Do y'all think it would make a difference depending on the content of the rub?

A rub with salt in it is going to bring moisture to the meat surface, thereby sort of self-brining.

most rubs have salt. I usually do just salt and pepper on brisket, I may try the renowned Mr Brown or something similar.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

Quote from: FLBentRider on April 06, 2010, 11:43:52 AMDo y'all think it would make a difference depending on the content of the rub?

A rub with salt in it is going to bring moisture to the meat surface, thereby sort of self-brining.

Pretty much the way I was thinking but not sure how much penetration you actually get.  Looking forward to Mr. Science's report.

squirtthecat

Same here...

For grins, weigh them before/after and see if there is any additional moisture loss.

OU812

I was just thinkin ::)you think you should cut the brisket in half length ways?

That way you would have a more level play ground, both would have a thin end and a thick end.

FLBentRider

Quote from: OU812 on April 06, 2010, 12:39:26 PM
I was just thinkin ::)you think you should cut the brisket in half length ways?

That way you would have a more level play ground, both would have a thin end and a thick end.

I thought about that too.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

Quote from: FLBentRider on April 06, 2010, 11:43:52 AM

I am by no means an expert in this department, but I would think that the content of the rub will make a difference with longer time. I suspect that there would be little, if any, change after about 3 hours. I marinate steaks before grilling and use Worcestershire Sauce as part of the marinade. There tends to be a bit of a difference in 30 minutes and 3 hours. If I just salt and pepper, I have not noticed any difference. But then again, I normally poke a lot of holes in the steaks to help distribute rub or marinade..

With the smoker, I generally just apply a rub just before smoking.

I am looking forward to your results.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

HawkeyeSmokes

Looking forward to the results to.

I've done both ways and so far, can't tell a difference.

A controlled test like this would be nice.

Thanks FLBR!
HawkeyeSmokes

sweetwaterspice

Quote from: FLBentRider on April 06, 2010, 11:43:52 AM

most rubs have salt. I usually do just salt and pepper on brisket, I may try the renowned Mr Brown or something similar.

The amount of salt in a rub shouldn't be able to have enough of a brining effect to impact the whole cut of meat but may impact the surface.  The catch is that when brining you pull water out of the meat to denature the proteins but there is a net gain in moisture because those proteins then hold on to the free floating water molecules.  A rub will have draw some water out, but not enough to get the desired effect of the net gain in moisture when done cooking.

Tasty looking rub nonetheless.

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.