Smokin Question

Started by jsmokinwylie, April 09, 2010, 12:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsmokinwylie

I have made my own sausage for years but never smoked it because I tend to make 200lbs at a time so I take it to my butcher. We are now going to make 25lb batches and I will smoke myself in my Bradley. Question of the day is which is better hot or cold and how? I think that to cold smoke I would smoke for about 4 hours at a low temp say 75f and then cold rinse. Hot smoke, I would smoke at 140f until dry and then raise temp to 180f, smoke until internal temp is around 160 - 170f. Then submerge in cold water to cool below 100f. Wrap and freeze. Am I on the right track?  ;D

Tenpoint5

I have not cold smoked my sausages yet. Not knowing what kind your making. I would go with the general rule of 1 hour at 120* to dry, then smoke for 1-2 hours at 140* then finish at 160-180* until 152* IT for 30 minutes or until it turns 153* Then do the ice water bath down to 100*. Let hang at room temp for 1-3 hours blooming and into the fridge for an over night before vac sealing and freezing. Long story short your on the right track.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: jsmokinwylie on April 09, 2010, 12:52:37 PM
I have made my own sausage for years but never smoked it because I tend to make 200lbs at a time so I take it to my butcher. We are now going to make 25lb batches and I will smoke myself in my Bradley. Question of the day is which is better hot or cold and how? I think that to cold smoke I would smoke for about 4 hours at a low temp say 75f and then cold rinse. Hot smoke, I would smoke at 140f until dry and then raise temp to 180f, smoke until internal temp is around 160 - 170f. Then submerge in cold water to cool below 100f. Wrap and freeze. Am I on the right track?  ;D

I would start 100* for 2 hours, no smoke and no rinse. Smoke sticks better to dry tacky casings. 

Bump the heat to 130* add 3 hours of smoke. Bump to 140* for 3 more hours (no smoke) Check IT of sausage. Bump to 150* for 4 hours (add 1 hour of smoke in here) Check IT. You might run into a stall time here where your sausage will stay at a level IT for awhile. Its normal.

Bump to 160*, Check IT you might have another 2-5 hours here. Your looking for an IT of the sausage between 152-156* If you go over this your going to fat-out the sausage. If your close to this IT bump to 170* Try not to exceed 180*

Tips. Make sure you add cure #1 to your meat mix.

Doing 25 lbs will take longer to reach your IT of smoker and of the meat.