1st cheese smoke -advice

Started by GusRobin, April 09, 2010, 06:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Have some chedder, cream cheese, and monterey jack. Going to cold soke tomorrow. I was going to go with hickory for 2 hours. Thought I would throw in a chub of salami, and a small ring of Kielbasa (polish sausage) that I bought. I was also going to throw in about a dozen hard boil eggs.
Have an OBS with cold smoke attachment. Thought I would put the cheese on the top rack, then the meat on the next and the eggs on the next.
I have a auber pid. Outside temp will be about 65F. Should I just cold smoke with just the generator hooked to the cold smoke box, or should I set the pid at 85F and use the element heater?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

I would just leave the element off.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

The PID will not help you on a cold smoke, but you do want to monitor cabinet temp with maverick.

If you start getting too hot (above 80 or so) just open the door abit to let some heat out.

pensrock

I use my PID and heater to do cheese now. That is depending on the outside temp. I like to keep the temps around 85F. But I do not use the Bradley to make the smoke for doing cheese so I am not getting the heat from the puck burner.