Mailbox cold smoke box

Started by mgg, May 04, 2005, 02:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgg

Hi all it's been some time since I have been able to do any smoking.Either raining cats and dogs of working at the hospital. I have been thinking about some lox and have been trying to experiment with an easy design. I went and purchased a 21" steel mailbox yes US Postmaster approved. I cut a 4 7/16" hole in the back of the box and this 6 1/4" from the bottom. Then a 4" hole on the door in front. Not too much precision is needed. I used a 90 degree dryer hose flange in front with a little duct tape. nothing in back only slidding the smoke generator flush resting on the cement. There was a fair amount potential for leakage but the damper left full open seemed to keep the smoke flow going. I placed a bread pan with water to quench the bisquettes. The foil hose is a little fragile jammed into the BSS. No ice or other water and the temp never rose 13 degrees above the ambient of 55F. The mailbox was almost too hot to touch. The hardest part was cutting through the steel. I used a sawsall. It took about 2 minutes and cost all together 22 US Dollars.[8D]
Michael

When the fire dies smoke gets in you eyes

Chez Bubba

Michael,

My only concern would be the paint or possible zinc plating on the mailbox. You don't want to be eating that crap![xx(]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

tsquared

Sounds like a good design.
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">My only concern would be the paint or possible zinc plating on the mailbox. You don't want to be eating that crap!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">But as Chez says, it might make you go postal![:D]
Tom

mgg

Hi again I'm trying to not go postal although I can't quite decide when to put the red flag up or down during smoking. I purchased the cheapest mailbox. It isn't galvanized nor painted. The inside is just regular steel the outside just gray paint. While shopping,I was initially a little freaky over heavy metal poisoning. The only thing on the inside is a light coat of smoke from the bisquettes. [:)] The only other point is I've been reading in Rytec Kutas' book and its suggesting that a cure be always used to prevent botulism. I'm probably going to use the recipe circulating on the forum,but adding the required #1 cure. I'm hoping if anything it will make the lox salmon all the more red. Then probably just the lox,red Bermuda onion/cream cheese/capers/bagle and orange juice for breakfast. No sauce like a good appetite. [:p] Write back with some more imput.
Michael

mgg

Hi again sorry I forgot to add that after the Utah summer weather arrives, I feel that I'll still need to add Ice to the BSS quenchbowl to keep the smoke below the 85 degrees Farenheit.[8D]
Michael

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mgg</i>
<br />Hi again I'm trying to not go postal although I can't quite decide when to put the red flag up or down during smoking.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If you were in Redding CA where the summers get 112-115 deg.[xx(] you would definately have the <font color="red">RED FLAG </font id="red">up.[:D]