Bacon question????

Started by deadeye, May 08, 2005, 01:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadeye

Hey guys I finially got to make it by the butcher shop to ask him about the bellies for bacon. He told me that it would be $3.49 a lb or 3.69 a lb. He told me he just had to order it in. It would take about a week to get. I also told him that I read you have to cure it for like 12 days or so. He said that he had a cure that you could just cure it in 9 hours????? My question to you is is this the cure I want to use and is the price of the meat about right??? I printed the recipe off the forum all ready so I will have it. I was thinking about using maple smoke.

Thanks guys and Gals

Derek Canda

deadeye

I found some posts on here about Price and my butcher was way toooo high!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks anyways

Derek

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

the price is to high, hard to find in my area at local meat shops, i go threw a friend that owns a restuant and buys his meat from a wholeseller for 1.49 lb but they wont split a case so i have to buy the whole thing a case is about 40lbs , may be thats why the price is so high for you ask about what a case price would be. most of the time butchers will give you a good price if you buy by the cryopack then they dont have to do anything just hand it to you, boston but is hard to find around here, i found one shop sell it for 2.28 lb but if i buy the the whole cryro bag he will sell it to me for 1.58 lb. so ask around for differant prices, and yes 40lbs will fit in your BS. now on curing, you can cure your bellies in  little as 4 days in a wet cure , there is so many differant curing times , wet cure is the fastest, but if you are wanting to do a flavor cure then you do a dry cure which will take 14 to 21 days, i hope this helps you

MallardWacker

I've been quoted 2.00, that does spund high.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

deadeye

Thanks guys I appreciate it. The thing is he is the only butcher shop around. I will figure something out though

Thanks

Derek Canada