I'm with Snelly and felt like some beef today

Started by ArnieM, April 11, 2010, 04:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Got some top round roast on sale  Put it into the unheated oven to warm up and dry out some.  If I left it on the counter, the cats would be over it like fleas on a hound dog.  Did a light S&P&garlic rub

Choked it with about 1:20 of oak in the OBS and then cooked until 'not done' - pulled at 127.  But, it was lookin' good.

I let it rest for a while.  My opinion is that 'resting' is not as necessary when doing low and slow versus doing higher temps.  But, we do love to experiment, don't we?

Got the "other stuff" going and put the beef into a 425 oven to finish cooking it.  Ended up at about 335 but I think someone's probe is off.

Here's the finished product.  Not as rare as I would have guessed.  The mashed were cooked with cilantro and chipotle cubes.  The gravy was thin, just a bit thicker than an au jus with some chipotle.  The frozen peas weren't so hot  >:(

Ever since I've learned to do beef roasts low and slow, I won't do 'em any other way.  The last pic isn't a great example, but if you look at it you can see 'lightly done' on the outer edges with a nice even pink throughout most of it.  Basically, not well done on the outside with raw meat in the center.  BTW, that was my wife's plate, sliced from the outside.  I like mine a bit more rare.

Enjoy.  Keep experimenting and posting up the results  :o

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

Looking good Arnie.

Low and slow is the only way to go with roast beef.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SnellySmokesEm

Looks good Arnie.  It took all the will power I had not to slice into my roast beef and take a peek.  Its in the fridge right now wrapped in plastic andn has a date with my meat slicer tonight.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

KevinG

The only thing frozen peas are good for is ammunition for a slingshot. The rest looks good.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

Looks good Arnie. How did you manage to get the spot of Black Rain? Did you choke the vent down to far?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 12, 2010, 07:18:21 AM
Looks good Arnie. How did you manage to get the spot of Black Rain? Did you choke the vent down to far?

Oh, you noticed  ;) 

The vent was wide open but I was using the OBS in the garage with venting to the outside.  I sometimes get some condensation with the setup.

-- Arnie

Caneyscud

Arnie - that looks great.   Looks like it would go real good on a sandwich - lots of mayo, some horseradish, lettuce - yumm!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

Sammies sounds good.  I put it into the coldest part of the fridge overnight to firm it up.  I'll likely do some thicker slices (as pictured) for another meal and some wafer thin slices for the sammies.  And yes, I have horseradish in stock  ;D
-- Arnie

OU812

Looks great Arnie.

I would think a hot beef sammie with the left over taters and gravy would hit the spot.  ;D

ArnieM

Quote from: OU812 on April 12, 2010, 07:46:14 AM
Looks great Arnie.

I would think a hot beef sammie with the left over taters and gravy would hit the spot.  ;D

What leftover taters  ??? ???  I'm trying to learn to cook for two (peaceful weekend).  But, it was a four pound hunk of meat.  Has anyone frozen a hunk of roast beef and later defrosted and sliced it up?
-- Arnie

SnellySmokesEm

Quote from: ArnieM on April 12, 2010, 08:58:56 AM
Quote from: OU812 on April 12, 2010, 07:46:14 AM
Looks great Arnie.

What leftover taters  ??? ???  I'm trying to learn to cook for two (peaceful weekend).  But, it was a four pound hunk of meat.  Has anyone frozen a hunk of roast beef and later defrosted and sliced it up?

I just asked the same question in my post...
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

OU812

I slice it then freeze it, then thaw out in the bag in simmerin water, dont dry out that way.

ArnieM

Thanks Curt.  I just saw this while looking through Snelly's thread.  Guess I'm getting Old and Slow  ;D
-- Arnie

OU812

I'm glad I'm not the only one gettin "Old and Slow"  ;D

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!