Advice on which smoker to buy

Started by DarqMan, April 11, 2010, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarqMan

I'm a newbie and this is my first post. 

I've been smoking using a wood smoker for about 15 years.  Recently, a long time friend purchased an OBS and has been experimenting with a lot of recipes in the Charcuterie book.  So far he is loving the original smoker. 

I was over at his house this weekend and watched as he made Canadian Bacon.  Once he turned the heat on, the original smoker's temperature climbed to 200 degrees and stayed there steady until the pork loin reached the desired internal temp.  Well, I've decided I want to get a Bradley because of how easy the process is vs. the work and constant attention of a wood smoker. 

I started looking at the units on Amazon and see that a lot of folks have been disappointed with the temp swings with the digital units.  If Bradley made a 6 rack like the 4 rack original that would be the way I'd go.  I really want something bigger than the 4 rack because when I entertain I usually have a good sized crowd. I also vacuum seal left overs so smoking in larger quantities isn't that uncommon. 

Obviously I'm undecided about which smoker to get.  I like the simplicity of the original unit and didn't see any temp swings on my friends unit, but I'd like something bigger and am hesitant of the digital controls.  Is it possible to manually control the heat for the digital units like the original?  Or is the heat always controlled by the digital thermometer?  Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

HawkeyeSmokes

Hi DarqMan  and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have done your research well. The only way to control the temp on the digital smoker is with the digital control on it. Unless you get a PID to control it. Auber makes a very popular one that works well. Here's a link to it. Auber Instruments

And for some more info, check this. Auber Plug & Play
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

Personally, I don't think you have to worry too much about temp swings once you are smokin & goin'.

When I ask the same question "KyNola" told me stop worrying and go to smokin.

There is a swing at first and when door gets open, but when you are cooking they all get closer.

PS Welcome to the Forum.

MPTubbs

Welcome aboard Darqman.

I have a D6R and run the heat with a PID.

Neat little toy....do you need it to make great Q....no, but boys will have toys!
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

RAF128

I've got both.   I've had an OBS for many years but wanted more space in it, so I bought a 6 rack.    Your right about the temp swings.   Also the temp the 6 racks shows is much higher than the actual temp.   I've checked it with a temp probe.    Everything I cooked took a lot longer than expected to reach the desired IT.   I bought a PID and it works great.   The 6 rack is set up in my garage and used regularly and the OBS is on the shelf.   I haven't decided what to do with it.   Might keep it as a spare or give it to my son.   

KevinG

I've got the digital 6 rack, and have no complaints. Yes the temp swings but who cares, so does my oven, so does my charcoal grill, it's all in how you deal with it.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

lumpy

I have a 4 rack BDS and a PID that I have been using for years.
My PID fuse blew last weekend and I went old school on 18lbs of shoulders and 15 lbs of summer sausage.

All of it turned out great without the PID, but I can't wait for my fuses so I can get back to smoking with it.

If you are home all day and like to keep and eye on your smoker, you can do a great job without the PID. If you want to set it and forget it...........get the PID. IMHO

Lumpy

DarqMan

Thanks for all the replies!  This is a great forum.

With additional cost of the 6 rack digital AND the cost of the PID, I figured I could get two 4 racks.  I decided to go with one of the original 4 rack models to see how it's going to work for me.  If I need to smoke more than it will hold I've got two other smokers to fall back on.  If I decide I really like it, I can always upgrade or buy another of the 4 rackers... so, I decided to start out more conservative rather than going for the big daddy right off. 

I got the 4 rack smoker, cover, 60 (5 variety pack) bisqettes and a rib rack for $388 from Amazon.  Free delivery to boot with the prime membership.  For that price I figured I couldn't go wrong.  I really appreciate everyone's encouragement and welcome.  It's good to be here.   

Now, I can't wait for the weekend... humm... what will I smoke first?
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

DTAggie

RAF -- YTou looking to sell the OBS?

RAF128

Quote from: DTAggie on April 12, 2010, 08:42:58 PM
RAF -- YTou looking to sell the OBS?

Not really.   As I said I'm going to keep it as an extra or give it to my son.   I promised to him and if he wants it he gets it.

ArnieM

Wow, the Amazon price went up.  The OBS was $288 with free shipping for a long time.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

lumpy

Everything is going up except wages >:(

Lump

OU812

ArnieM

Wages?  They just took away my unemployment compensation  :(
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

azamuner73

I just did my very 1st smoke ever and I did it in an OBS.  It took many adjustments to get the temp I wanted but once I finally got it set, it stayed at about 205-ish the whole cooking time.

I will definitely get a PID at some point but I spent a few bucks getting the OBS and then some accessories from Yard and Pool (ie: frog mats, ET73, bubba pucks and bear claws).

Oh and welcome to the forum.   :)