Advice on which smoker to buy

Started by DarqMan, April 11, 2010, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarqMan

My OBS is scheduled for delivery this Thursday. Any recommondation for a table or cart that has casters so I can wheel it around? I haven't found anything specifically made to accomodate the smoker.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

ArnieM

Nothing specific DM.  I have mine on an old coffee table in the garage.  Detaching the SG makes the whole thing lighter and easier to carry around.  Mine is about to go back out on the deck.

You could always check the usual suspects:  Costco, Lowes, Walmart, Home depot.  My fear is that it might fall over while wheeling it, depending on terrain.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DarqMan

Thanks Arnie.  Even though I have a cover on the way to accomodate, the weather in Oklahoma gets crazy this time of year.  There's a level concrete path from the back patio to the garage so was hoping to store in the garage and wheel around to the back when the smoking festivities being.  ;D

I'll take measurements when it gets in and go hunting one day this weekend.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

ArnieM

-- Arnie

DarqMan

Before I saw your post I found this on Amazon.  I'd get free shiping with my prime membership.  The smoker will fit on this one right?

http://www.amazon.com/Seville-Classics-SHE18304-Industrial-All-Purpose/dp/B0002O9HXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1271210193&sr=8-1

ArnieM

I wouldn't go for that.  It's 18" deep, front-to-back; 24" would be better.  You said you're getting a cover.  That should work.

You also said "the weather in Oklahoma gets crazy this time of year".  A tornado will be the least of your problems  :)

Keeping it covered on the deck/patio would be good.  No hassle of hauling it back and forth.  The main idea is to get it off the ground, to working level, and even simple plastic patio tables can do that. 

Just mount it at a comfortable height, cover it and make sure the wind doesn't blow it over.  Keeping it out of the wind does help with getting the temp up.
-- Arnie

DarqMan

All my goodies arrived yesterday and today.  I'm impressed with how well thought out the smoker is in terms of the assembly, everything "snaps" together.  One question on the tented foil pan at the bottom.  Why does it "rock" on the topmost brass pin?  What purpose does this serve?  It's not a problem, I'm just the curious type.  :)

TTNuge

Quote from: DarqMan on April 15, 2010, 07:07:36 PM
All my goodies arrived yesterday and today.  I'm impressed with how well thought out the smoker is in terms of the assembly, everything "snaps" together.  One question on the tented foil pan at the bottom.  Why does it "rock" on the topmost brass pin?  What purpose does this serve?  It's not a problem, I'm just the curious type.  :)

The drip pan sort of weaves through the pins.  It goes above the first pin, then below the middle pin and then on top of the back pin.  So the pan is resting on the front and back pins and underneath the middle pin when you have it installed correctly.

OU812

Quote from: DarqMan on April 15, 2010, 07:07:36 PM
All my goodies arrived yesterday and today.  

WOO HOO!

Let the games begin.  :D

DarqMan

@ArnieM - I took your advice and found a 24" x 49" stainless steel table from Sam's. 

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=158456

I came with heavy duty locking casters.  The top is very nice, it reminds me of a counter top in a commercial kitchen.  The size of the table more than accomodates the smoker with plenty of room for utensils and other stuff.  It snaped together in 5 minutes with no tools.  I highly recommend this table if anyone is looking for something like this.

@TTNuge - Thanks for clarifying how that goes together.  I guess what I don't understand is why the center pin is there in for first place.  Just seems a little overkill but not a big deal once you understand how it all goes together.

I took the smoker for it's first test drive Saturday.  I rubbed down 10 pounds of pork loin and three racks of baby back ribs with Head Country rub Friday night.  Saturday about 3:30 I put the baby backs on the second from the top grate rack using a rib rack.  The 10 pound pork loin was cut in half and I placed each of those on the two bottom shelves.  I loaded the smoker with the Bradley pucks alternating between and Hickory and the "Special" (whatever those are?). 

Since it was raining here in Gutherie America, I put the smoker on the front porch because it's covered.  The problem is that safety switch in the bathroom kept tripping after 20 minutes.  I finally moved it to the outter edge of the garage under the eves and everything worked fine there.  I'm not sure why it wouldn't run on the circuit on the other side of the house but th solution was simple enough.

The smoke rolling out smelled great all day, I'm sure the neighbors were jealous.  The thing I found odd is the smoker never passed 180 degrees.  That had me a bit concerned but I figured it was probably the fact I had such a big load.  About 7:30 when the pork reach an internal temp of 155-160 I pulled them off, wrapped them in foil and placed them in a cooler to keep them warm. 

I checked the ribs and they had good flavor but the connective tissues hadn't broken down yet.  I let them go another couple hours until a litle past 9:30.  Once the pork loin was taken off the smoker easily climbed to 250.   Frankly, I was not expecting very good results on the first smoke.  I've rarely had shining success my first go with  a new smoker or grill because it takes a while to learn it.  Well, this was a first.  The ribs were absolutely amazing.  They had that nice smokey dark crust, were pulling back from the bone and were indeed spectaular.  The room of friends got completely quiet for the obvious reasons and all you could hear was people eating.  The pork loin was tender and juicy but the ribs were by far the star. I honestly wasn't expecting such great results in a brand new smoker.  I'm still tickled to death I didn't have to do anything once I got it going other than visit with friends and sip a cold one.  I am so glad I found this Bradley smoker, I'm going to enjoy it for many years.   

classicrockgriller

OK, He's hooked!

Next!

Sounds like you had a 100% hit at your first smoke.

May they all be like that.

DarqMan

@classicrockgriller - Yes, I am definitely hooked!  I love this smoker!

I have a huge hunk of sharp cheddar I'm going to try cold smoking one night after work this week.  Cold smoking is something I've never done so this will be something new.

jfgardner4

First off.  Great thread and thanks from a newbie.  Never owned a smoker and have narrowed down to the Bradley.  DM what was the model you got for that price?  That price is right in my wheelhouse.

Thanks again!! Gotta go read some more!

Quote from: DarqMan on April 12, 2010, 07:07:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies!  This is a great forum.

With additional cost of the 6 rack digital AND the cost of the PID, I figured I could get two 4 racks.  I decided to go with one of the original 4 rack models to see how it's going to work for me.  If I need to smoke more than it will hold I've got two other smokers to fall back on.  If I decide I really like it, I can always upgrade or buy another of the 4 rackers... so, I decided to start out more conservative rather than going for the big daddy right off. 

I got the 4 rack smoker, cover, 60 (5 variety pack) bisqettes and a rib rack for $388 from Amazon.  Free delivery to boot with the prime membership.  For that price I figured I couldn't go wrong.  I really appreciate everyone's encouragement and welcome.  It's good to be here.   

Now, I can't wait for the weekend... humm... what will I smoke first?

KevinG

Congrats on a smokin good first smoke!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

DarqMan

@jfgardner4 - I was originally interested in the digital model but ended up with the OBS (Original Bradley Smoker) from Amazon.  The price was very reasonable and as always I was pleased with Amazon's prompt delivery. The box arrived with no boo-boos and the unit was in perfect shape.  By the way, I've read negative reviews about the cover.  The cover I received was a heavy duty canvas so it looks like Bradley kicked the material up a notch.

I just executed a one click purchase for a 48 pack of Jim Beam briquettes for 18.00 with free shipping.  I'm thinking about brisket this weekend.  :-X

As I mentioned in my original post, I've been smoking with a wood smoker for years. I love smoked food.  The ribs I cooked last weekend were just as good, I'd say better, than any ribs I've ever smoked on a wood burning non-electric smoker.  When using a wood smoker, if you don't take the time to eliminate the bark from the logs it adds a bitter taste to the food.  I used to started my logs in a seperate fire and then transfered them to the fire box to prevent this bitterness, but with the Bradley smoker, the wooden bisquettes provide a clean, natural tasting flavor without all the hassle. 

If you are remotely considerng one of these smokers, I would encourage you to go for it. You will not be disappointed.