Advice on which smoker to buy

Started by DarqMan, April 11, 2010, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DarqMan on April 21, 2010, 08:39:51 PM
@jfgardner4 - I was originally interested in the digital model but ended up with the OBS (Original Bradley Smoker) from Amazon.  The price was very reasonable and as always I was pleased with Amazon's prompt delivery. The box arrived with no boo-boos and the unit was in perfect shape.  By the way, I've read negative reviews about the cover.  The cover I received was a heavy duty canvas so it looks like Bradley kicked the material up a notch.

I just executed a one click purchase for a 48 pack of Jim Beam briquettes for 18.00 with free shipping.  I'm thinking about brisket this weekend.  :-X

As I mentioned in my original post, I've been smoking with a wood smoker for years. I love smoked food.  The ribs I cooked last weekend were just as good, I'd say better, than any ribs I've ever smoked on a wood burning non-electric smoker.  When using a wood smoker, if you don't take the time to eliminate the bark from the logs it adds a bitter taste to the food.  I used to started my logs in a seperate fire and then transfered them to the fire box to prevent this bitterness, but with the Bradley smoker, the wooden bisquettes provide a clean, natural tasting flavor without all the hassle. 

If you are remotely considerng one of these smokers, I would encourage you to go for it. You will not be disappointed. 

Yep, you're HOOKED ! ;D

Ketch22

Welcome  Looks like you are haveing fun send pic

DarqMan

Here's a few quick snapshots from my iPhone.  I didn't think to snap the ribs before they were woofed down, but I'll be sure to get a snap of the next dish.  I can't say enough about how great the table is for this smoker.  It's all stainless steel, sturdy and the casters are great.  

Did someone say I was hooked?  Why, yes I am  :o

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KevinG

Heck, now you're ready for food to go!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

Funny.  I worked with a woman.  People would ask her what her husband does.  "He sells drugs."  He worked as a salesman for a drug company.  If anyone asks me I just say "I smoke a lot."
-- Arnie

DarqMan

I smoke a lot but I like to eat it too.   ;D
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

ArnieM

DM, I have to warn you. 

You do ribs, pulled pork, roast beef, chicken, ABTs or whatever.  Then you go out to eat, look at your $25 dish and say "What is this crap?".

Nothin' like home cooking.
-- Arnie

DarqMan

Arnie,  I know exactly what you're talking about.  I live pretty far out but there's a BBQ joint about 5 miles away.  They do an okay pulled pork but the ribs are no where close to the product I can put produce at home.  I do enjoy my home cooked meals!