Bacon - Again

Started by ArnieM, April 14, 2010, 12:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

The recent threads on bacon got me revved up again.  My butcher was out of bellies last week but just got some in today and I was on them like crows on a dead squirrel.

I got two hunks totaling about 4 3/4 pounds for $7.  Is that a lot?  Shown below.  They're rind-on.

I was thinking of trying these two ways. 

One is to salt.  Drain and resalt once or twice a day for 2-3 days.  This is the way the butcher does them.  Basically, he's just removing moisture.  Then, they get hickory smoke.

The other way is the thrice smoked method (Habs on the recipe site).  The butcher guy said he has had it double smoked and it was REAL good.

As always, comments and suggestions are appreciated.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

smokeNcanuck

QuoteI got two hunks totaling about 4 3/4 pounds for $7.  Is that a lot?  Shown below.  They're rind-on.

Arnie, I just picked up a 5# slab today and it cost me $2.69/Lb so thats about $15 CAD including tax. >:( >:(  I almost choked,
I guess that's what I get for not asking how much before I order.  I don't think I'll be going back to this butcher any time soon.
Oh well on the bright side in about a weeks time I should have some maple cured bacon. :D :D
This is my first time so I think I'll give the Habs/10.5 recipe a try, seems to be getting some very good press lately.
Good luck with you experiment, that thrice smoked sound interesting!
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

classicrockgriller

Where's the Bacon?

We want Bacon!

We want Bacon!

Is the Bacon done yet?

ArnieM

Quote from: classicrockgriller on April 20, 2010, 12:04:57 PM
Where's the Bacon?

We want Bacon!

We want Bacon!

Is the Bacon done yet?

Soon, soon.  One slab is in the smoker now, IT up to 138 after 3 hours of hickory and cooking at an average temp of 165.  The other slab is still in the cure.
-- Arnie

ArnieM

OK, it's outa the smoker and cooled down a bit.  Did my best to take the rind off; never did it before.  The bacon is tightly wrapped up in the fridge.  The rind is in a bag in the fridge; have to figure out how best to use it.  I've heard that cutting it into strips, boiling it first and deep frying it can make some puffy rind.  Never did that either.

I think I'll take about a 1/4 inch slice off each side of the bacon, cube it and save it for lardon.  Suggestions are always welcome.
-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

When I was much much younger, my Mom would buy bacon with rind on cause it was cheaper.

When she fryed yp the bacon you ate close to the rind.

I always kept my leftover rind in a bag in my pocket and took out pieces of it during the day and chewed on it.

Was fun times.

ArnieM

Sorry, I forgot my picture.  Ya know Sonny, it's "Waste not, want not." 

-- Arnie

OU812

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BaconBaconBaconBaconBaconBaconBaconBaconBaconBaconBaconBaconBacon

Did I ever mention I like bacon.  ;D

Looks good Arnie.

KevinG

Can't say I've ever had bacon rind. Sounds interesting, kinda like chewing your cud.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Looks mighty tasty to me.

Did you fry some up yet?

ArnieM

I'll do my best to respond here, but it's the vodka and I.m waiting for the chat room shortly.

Kevin, frying up the bacon with the rind on might be about a step or two below chewing your cud - if you have one.  The rind is really tough.

Yeah OU, you might have mentioned it on a couple of occasions  ;D

CRG, the bacon is wrapped and will sit in the fridge for a couple of days.  This is the REALLY difficult part of smoking (like cheese).

So now I want to make rind 'puffs'.  They sell 'em at the grocery store.  As I've said, I heard the rind was boiled and then deep fried.

Any suggestions here?
-- Arnie

Habanero Smoker

I generally cut the skin up into strips, freeze and use it for seasoning stews, soups and casseroles. To make fried pork rinds, you need to cut them into 1 inch pieces then render the fat off the skin before frying. This can be done by as you stated boiling first, or you can place them in a frying pan with some water over low heat, or in an oven at about 350°F with a little water. Once the fat is rendered off, pat them dry and deep fry. I've tried this with the skin for the shoulder, it works some what, but I didn't get them to puff up as much as the ones they sell in the stores.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

CRG -- you need this cookbook!

http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Tastes-Better-Bacon-Fabulous/dp/0811832392#noop

or maybe this one

http://www.amazon.com/Bacon-Cookbook-Recipes-Everyones-Favorite/dp/0470042826/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Be sure and scroll down to the Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought section to find the really interesting bacon goodies !

Eric
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here