Question about Pork Butts???

Started by deadeye, May 11, 2005, 02:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadeye

Hey guys I found some pork butts today for $1.69 per lb. They are boneless and I wanted to make bacon out of them. Do I cut them in half first before I smoke them??? Just curious?? I have not bought them yet. Thinking about buying them this weekend and then curing them.

Thanks for the help

Derek Canada

nsxbill

I never split!  Just long slow cook  w/smoke for 4 hours..Have beer handy for the chef!  You can anticipate about 14-16 hrs in the smoker to get to temp of 190 for shredding.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

deadeye

Bill

What do you mean shred??? I wanted to make bacon out of them to fry in the skillet?? You lost me???? I thought I read on here somewhere you could use pork butts instead of pork bellies to make bacon

Thanks

Derek

nsxbill

Have never done bacon.  Sorry for the confusion.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

jaeger

Derek,
Check out the thread "Hillbilly Bacon" under Curing.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

MallardWacker

Eye,

You got most the work done for you already.  Just measure your cure properly and rub it in well.  However I would try and shape it in the container because when the cure starts working it will draw the meat tight, try an make it the way you want it to come out.  Just curious, what cure are yoy using?  Are you going to flavor it at all?  Let us know.Here is my disortation on this task.Bacon Stuff

<font color="blue">Week and a half of school left and O'l Mallard Mike will rise from the ashes and get to curing again.  I got Jalepeno on the brain.  Speaking of peppers, does anyone know where do the Serano(sp?) rank on the heat scale AND do they have much flavor compared to a Jalepeno?</font id="blue">

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

psdubl07

AvianAssaultMan,  Olds posted the Scoville chart in this thread:
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1534&whichpage=1

As you can see, serranos are a bit hotter than Jalapenos.  
In my experience, their spicyness is more consistent than Jalapenos, which sometimes almost taste like green peppers.  The serranos will give you more of the true chili flavor w/ extra kick! [}:)]

Bassman

DeadEye,
I have made bacon with Hi Mountain BuckBoard Bacon cure with wonderful results.Made 4 Butts at one time(approx 22 lbs). It comes with step by step instructions.Easy to use and delicious.[:p][:D]Really don't have to split the Butts.After they're done just slice.Hope this helps!

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>
<br />AvianAssaultMan
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Ya Baby-[:D][:D][:D]

Thanks, thats what I needed.  I think I will add a few in the Jalepeno Bacon this time around.  Want to get more of that pepper flavor.

Did you see that stuff they had the other night on the Food Network&gt;&gt;&gt;7.1 million Scovile's.  I think the guy said that you use it just for the heat and not the flavor,(duh...).  He said something like "a couple of drops to five gallons of chile".  Of course they had some stupoids taste it.  To be quite blunt, let me say  that I 'm glad it's not coming out of my rear aperture in the morning....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

deadeye

Hey guys thanks for all your help. I ordered a High Mt. catalog and I did not see the buckboard bacon cure in there?? Whats up with that?? I will go to Gander Moutain tomorrow and see if they have it there. I want to try and make some in the next couple of weeks. I have to be careful though because I am getting half of a cow this weekend and my freezer is going to be jamed packed full. I might have to wait a little longer untill I get some room in there before I make some.

Thanks again guys

Derek Canada

deadeye

Hey guys just looked at the catalog again I found it it was on page 10 in the catalog they sent me. I missed it the 1st time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again

Derek Canada

Phone Guy

I did a whole butt using the High Mountain cure. I left it in for about 12 days (due to our busy lives). The instructions call for 10 days, thats what I would do next time. It's important to make sure it gets soaked and rinsed properly. I'm not an expert but thats just what I found.

psdubl07

Mallard, yikes, I didn't see that!  But I did see the dude on Cookin in Brooklyn make these deep fried thingys w/ Habaneros that looked like ABTs.  He was having guys try them who had complained he wasn't making the food spicy enough.  That'll learn 'em! [:0]

MallardWacker

psd,

The girl that was handing it out had a mask on.  Alos said something about signing waivers.  RULE#1 If you have to sign a waiver before you eat it that probably means you shouldn't.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

psdubl07

MW, that's hilarious.  This dude was wearing a respirator while he was grilling the chiles!!