Wing attempt #1

Started by db14, April 16, 2010, 06:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

db14

Well, thanks to OU I'm trying out smoked wings for the first time.  I got about 2.5lbs of wings at the store already cut into two pieces (the tips were not included) for like $5, so I 'm thinking I can't go wrong.  I made up a rub with the following:
3.5 tsp smoked paprika
.5 tsp cayenne
.5 tsp white pepper
.75 tsp onion powder
.5 tsp black pepper
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp sea salt
.5 tsp ground mustard
.5 tsp chili powder

I rubbed each side and spread out across two racks.  I cranked my OBS all the way and once preheated (about 260F) put them in with 2 hours of apple.
Here are the before pics:

I'll be back with some finished ones shortly.

db14

They stayed in the smoker at about 250F for about 2:15 (after an hour I did the top to bottom/ front to back thing and also flipped them all.)  I then put them on the grill for about 6-7 minutes to crisp them a little.  I actually left them on the grill just a little to long, but it was dark out so visibility was down.  They ended up pretty good though.  Here's the pics:

All in all, I was pretty happy.  Everything came out pretty good, my only complaint was the overgrilling.  They didn't seem that hot until after I got done eating, then my mouth kept heating up.

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

jiggerjams

Ahhh but it is that after heat that keeps me in pursuit for more of the flavor!!

Looks good db

Stokin' one stick at a time,

JJ

ArnieM

They look good db.  Yeah, OU is always starting trouble  ;D

I have a bag of wings in the freezer that sound about the same.  Cut into sections, no tips, individually frozen.  I think it's time to pull 'em out  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Quote from: db14 on April 16, 2010, 07:28:45 PM
I actually left them on the grill just a little to long, but it was dark out so visibility was down. 

You really gotta watch them babys when there on the grill, they can go from just about done to burnt to a crisp in the time it takes to get a beer.

They look mighty juicy and got a nice color to them, makin me hungry.

The next time I'm sure they will be perfect.

Arnie;

You got them wings on yet?

ArnieM

Quote from: OU812 on April 19, 2010, 07:41:46 AM

Arnie;

Later today.  Had to defrost 'em and naturally the bag leaked all over the fridge.  >:(
-- Arnie

OU812

Quote from: ArnieM on April 19, 2010, 08:44:24 AM

Arnie;

Later today.  Had to defrost 'em and naturally the bag leaked all over the fridge.  >:(

Bummer.

I try to put any thing I'm thawin out on a rimed pan, some thin always seems to leak on me.

ArnieM

Quote from: ArnieM on April 19, 2010, 08:44:24 AM

Arnie;

Well, the wings are done, but I had some complications :-\

Just got Iceman's Sop'n Sauce in the mail today.  Shook it up, opened it for a taste and my wife (Debbie) went nuts.  She wanted to drink it.  I'm sure there are some DNA samples on the lid.

Anyway, the wings went on the gasser (yeah, I know  :-\) and were finished off with the sauce.  I just wanted to get the chicken and sauce taste.  Absolutely terrific!  Sorry, there is no presentation pic.  They were moving off the plate too quickly.  (Either the camera or me seems to be having a focus problem.)

-- Arnie

OU812

Nice lookin pile of wings you had there Arnie.  :D

"I'm sure there are some DNA samples on the lid"    Thats funny. ;D

I take it Debbie liked the sauce.

db14

Quote from: db14 on April 16, 2010, 07:28:45 PM
I actually left them on the grill just a little to long, but it was dark out so visibility was down. 

You really gotta watch them babys when there on the grill, they can go from just about done to burnt to a crisp in the time it takes to get a beer.

They look mighty juicy and got a nice color to them, makin me hungry.

The next time I'm sure they will be perfect.

Exactly, 5 minutes on a preheated grill would be plenty.

I was pleasantly suprised with the color.  When I first put them in and it's just chicken with a sprinkle of seasoning on them, I was concerned with what they would look like.  I know that's not as important about taste, but I'm a perfectionist.  Couple hours of smoke really gave them a nice look.

OU812

Yep, bout 5 min is all it takes when you take them wings outta the smoker.

ArnieM

DB, like your rub recipe and I'll have to try it.  I sent it to my #1 daughter who's doing an 8 pound yard bird in the oven tonight.  The good news is that there's no sugar in it and so probably won't burn (turn black).  Also, I'm a fan of white pepper.  It has some heat but is more subtle than something like cayenne.  I've used it in hot and sour soup to good effect.

OU, yeah Debbie was crazy for the Q sauce.  I've bought commercial and made my own but she said this is by far the best  >:(
-- Arnie

db14

Quote from: ArnieM on April 20, 2010, 11:15:18 AM
DB, like your rub recipe and I'll have to try it.  I sent it to my #1 daughter who's doing an 8 pound yard bird in the oven tonight.  The good news is that there's no sugar in it and so probably won't burn (turn black).  Also, I'm a fan of white pepper.  It has some heat but is more subtle than something like cayenne.  I've used it in hot and sour soup to good effect.
Nice, hopefully it turns out.  I know what you mean on the white pepper, I picked it up on sale at the store to give it a try and was even a little confused by it at first.  It's definitely unique, but I think it's a must now and it diversifies the flavor and the heat a little as opposed to just using cayenne or black pepper.  Now if I can only find a place that sells turbinado sugar ???