Picnic vs. Butt

Started by shoresdiver, June 18, 2010, 12:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoresdiver

Per usual, I'm here looking for some advice... :D

In preparing for father's day, I thought I would make some pulled pork for the in-laws. I went to the trusty supermarket, and -- NO Boston Butt to be had.  I bought a half picnic, took the skin off, injected and rubbed it, and was hoping to have it turn out as well as the one documents by Classic Rock Griller. 

Although I was concerned by the stories about picnic's coming out too tough to pull, I was comforted by the fact that a neighbor asked me to smoke half a butt for him - I figured I could trade some pulled butt for some sliced pork if push came to shove.  However, he calls, and now says he does not have a butt to smoke. 

SO, back to the store, which now had some butts in stock.  I did a quick rub (no injection on this one), and plan to put them both in the smoker this afternoon for an overnight smoke.  The butt is about 6.2 pounds, and the picnic is about 6 pounds.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which one is likely to cook quicker?  I want to put my PID probe in the one likely to take longer, and use the maverick for the one which will come out first so I can pull it at 195 while leaving the other in the OBS.  Thanks for the help.

RAF128

They're close in weight so they should be close.    Might want to rotate them from time to time which I know is tough since it's an over night thing.   I've done the picnic as well and found it good.    Lots of complements from guests.   
I'm doing a butt as well this weekend.   Just finished rubbing it.    It'll take a nap in the fridge tonight and it'll be going in the bradley late tomorrow for an over night party with some apply smoke.   Planning on Sunday afternoon so might have FTC.

shoresdiver

As I'm always asking for help, I thought I should post some progress photos...
(Thanks for the continuing stream of advice... I'll get the hang of this at some point...)(The image didn't show up in the last one - better try again)

classicrockgriller

You can set your PID to time and not worry about the meat probe.

I would keep the probe in the top one if you decide to use it.

Just carry that picnic out to 200* and it will be great.

If you get a few pieces that don't want to pull, just chop them up.

shoresdiver

Thanks CRG - excellent advice as usual.  I was hoping to use the probe to cook to temp and then scale back to 140 to avoid having them overshoot in the middle of the night.  After reading about your 26 hour picnic marathon, I wanted to start them plenty early...  I may still use the probe in the butt, and check the picnic for tenderness once the other is done.

oakrdrzfan

My family prefers picnics over butts.  I go to 190 and there is no problem pulling them.

bob_loblaw

I am a total noob, but last time I did a pork shoulder we grabbed a picnic by accident.  IIRC it was 5-6 lbs, went in around 6 pm and came out the following morning around 11 with an IT of 195.  Turned out great. 

It was only my second one and the first butt was boneless.  To me the picnic was better (more flavor), but I am not sure if that is because I went a little longer/slower on the cook, or the bone.  In any case, the point is it was still great.  Good luck!

shoresdiver

Thanks to all for the advice!

Happy to report that both the picnic and the butt came out stellar -- 4.5 hours of hickory, and a total of 17 hours at 210 F.  Final IT on the butt was 190, and the picnic was 194.  The picnic was slightly drier, but much more flavorful, and the butt fell apart while I was lifting it to the board I pulled it on.  I will post pics tomorrow, but everyone raved about the pork.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: shoresdiver on June 21, 2010, 09:24:08 PM
Thanks to all for the advice!

Happy to report that both the picnic and the butt came out stellar -- 4.5 hours of hickory, and a total of 17 hours at 210 F.  Final IT on the butt was 190, and the picnic was 194.  The picnic was slightly drier, but much more flavorful, and the butt fell apart while I was lifting it to the board I pulled it on.  I will post pics tomorrow, but everyone raved about the pork.

Congrats! Looking forward to the pics.

Habanero Smoker

I agree the picnics are more flavorful. They have a taste that is close to that of fresh ham, but I don't take them to pulling temperature. I usually take them to 165°F, and slice or chop them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)