A Tenpoint5 Ham

Started by Tenpoint5, April 19, 2010, 08:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KevinG on April 24, 2010, 07:09:53 PM
Oops, almost forgot, guess now's not a good time to tell you, but my pigs been done over an hour ago now.  ;D

Oh Yeah, Well your sisters ugly!!! (Dang program wont let me say what I want too!! ;D)
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on April 24, 2010, 07:13:32 PM
Quote from: KevinG on April 24, 2010, 07:07:20 PM
How the heck can you run out of beer after only 27 hours? Sheesh! Some peoples children.  ;D

One good reason to keep a smoking log! This could have been prevented.

:D
HA HA very funny Sunshine that would be true But I aint never done a Bambi Ham afer I will know it for the next time thats for dang sure.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 24, 2010, 07:12:58 PM
Error Momma had a fresh 30 pack in the van knowing I was gonna have a long day. Seems to help some since in the past hour the IT has climbed to 145. I aint liking the looks of the outside of the ham starting to get White almost as if the salts are being drawn out of it and creating a crust/bark on the ham. We will see

Sounds like it's drying out some. Maybe slap some oil on him?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

KevinG

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 24, 2010, 07:15:17 PM
Oops, almost forgot, guess now's not a good time to tell you, but my pigs been done over an hour ago now.  ;D

Oh Yeah, Well your sisters ugly!!! (Dang program wont let me say what I want too!! ;D)

Yea, but at least mine has all of her original teeth.  :P

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KevinG on April 24, 2010, 07:19:57 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 24, 2010, 07:15:17 PM

Yea, but at least mine has all of her original teeth.  :P
The Left one or the Right?

Tenpoint5

Well I went to check on it at 10pm (That's 29 hours for those that are counting) The PID was beeping telling me it had ended its program. A few choice words were uttered. I looked at the Maverick uttered a few more choice words it was at 148*. I brought it in the house slapped it on the cutting board peeled off the netting and took a picture. Now the light brown spots are like blisters but they are still soft. The white on the top that I thought was salt is actually the "Blue Skin" from the earlier pics.

I tried to pick it up and found out that it hadn't sealed itself back together. So I cut the two sections apart. I cut off a couple of taster pieces. Here is a picture of what the inside looks like. Looks nothing like most Venison that you cook not grey at all. It almost looks like Pastrami.

Now those two pieces that I cut off for tasters. First off they do not exist anymore. The one that was closest to the outside was a tad bit salty, actually it was really salty. The next slice in wasn't as bad. I did try a small piece from where I split the two halves. It wasn't salty at all but had a really awesome ham flavor. This 10.5 Ham scores a 2 Thumbs up rating. If you want some come and get it before it's gone.

classicrockgriller

Well I'm impressed.

Never would expected the inside to look that nice.

great job Chris.

KevinG

That sure did turn out some nice color, good job!

Caribou

Wow Chris!
That looks awesome  :)
I'm sorry that I missed the first parts but I've had house guests.
Carolyn

FLBentRider

Wow Tenpoint, that looks good. Like I need another reason to go deer hunting...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Time for an update. After taking the tasters off last night. I wrapped the ham in foil and into the fridge for an overnight. This morning I pulled the smaller piece out and sliced it up. The taste had completely changed in this piece. It has gone from having a ham flavor to more of a chipped beef flavor. Now don't get me wrong this is not a bad thing it is actually very good. I will get some more taste testing this afternoon when I make sandwiches out of the slices. I have the seal of approval from the yardapes with just the slices, just need the seal on a sandwich. Here is the slice that I was testing last night all sliced up.

KevinG

Funny how these flavors change.

smokeNcanuck

Looks really really nice! Great job 10.5, wish I could sample
some of that!
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

OU812

Looks GREAT Chris!

Aint nothin wrong with a big ole pile of chipped deer.

Chipped deer is a big hit at our house, we eat it right outta the bag.

I like to make SOS with it, mmmmmmmm gooood.

Tenpoint5

Well the Yardapes polished off two of the piles yesterday. So I got to thinking I be hungry I want a Reuben Sandwich. No Rye so Wheat, No Thousand Island so Hot German Mustard and Horseradish No Swiss so Baby Swiss. The first sandwich was so damn good, I didn't even get a pic so I had to make another just to show you all just how good both of them sammies was!! Third pile gone, guess I have to slice up the other half now!!