A Tenpoint5 Ham

Started by Tenpoint5, April 19, 2010, 08:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Looks GOOD!

No Rye, No Thousand Island, No Swiss, sounds like you need to go to the store.  :D

Tenpoint5

Let me say this "It Didn't Suck" Even with the substitutions. I am stuffed like a tick on a bloodhound.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 26, 2010, 10:18:14 AM
Let me say this "It Didn't Suck" Even with the substitutions. I am stuffed like a tick on a bloodhound.

I here ya, had to substitute spicy hot mustard, had horseradish in it, for the Thousand Island before and it turned out great.

ArnieM

I haven't done venison so I figured I'd just watch and see what happened.The result and sammies look good.  You might have to put another recipe up Chris.   :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: ArnieM on April 26, 2010, 11:21:30 AM
I haven't done venison so I figured I'd just watch and see what happened.The result and sammies look good.  You might have to put another recipe up Chris.   :D
Arnie I used the exact same recipe that I use for Ham when using fresh pork ham

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 26, 2010, 12:09:35 PM
Quote from: ArnieM on April 26, 2010, 11:21:30 AM
Arnie I used the exact same recipe that I use for Ham when using fresh pork ham

Dont know whats in 10.5's brine but I brine and cook the same way for dried deer, just not a big hunk of meat, I will separate the muscle's.

Good stuff.

ArnieM

Speaking of venison, just shot this through the family room window.  Notice also the ears behind the rock.  Rainy today.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Tenpoint5

Dinner on the hoof!!!

As for the recipe here is what I used I would back off some on the salt for Venison. This one seemed to suck it up like a sponge. I also only took the IT up to 148ยบ on the venison.

Home Cured Ham

The Brine/Pickle for Ham that I used is
5 quarts ice water (38-40*F)
1 pound of Salt (I use Kosher)
1 cup Powdered Dextrose
2/3 cup Insta Cure #1

The recipe calls for the ham to be injected 10% by weight. I used 15%. To do the math here is the formula and explanation of how to do it.

Pump injecting formula is generally this...
15% x Xoz = oz per pump

My ham is around 22 lb or 352 oz; being 16oz per pound.
This now gives me  an easy plug in formula

.15 x 352oz =52.8oz needed for pumping

The injector I use holds 4oz at a time. Rounding off I get this...
52/4=13 or 52.8/4=13.2

So that means 13 full injections, or 13.2 if you wish to get technical, but the .2 isn't a problem

Mix the brine in the bucket. Then after injecting and making sure to get in the shank and around all the bones in the ham. Submerge the ham in the bucket and refrigerate for 5-7 days. Place in stockinette and hang in smokehouse.

Smoking
Hang Ham in preheated smoker to 120* and hold for 12 Hours (Vent Full Open) then
Increase temp to 140* start smoke and smoke for 8 Hours (Vent at Half) then
Increase temp to 170* until IT of 142* For a fully cooked ham, Hold until the IT reaches 152-155*

HawkeyeSmokes

That looks great Chris!

Wish I had some some of that chipped and served on toast. Plus a couple of over easy eggs!

;D
HawkeyeSmokes

seemore

GOOD JOB CHRIS looks like some good eats there
seemore

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: ArnieM on April 26, 2010, 12:56:40 PM
Speaking of venison, just shot this through the family room window.  Notice also the ears behind the rock.  Rainy today.

The rock has ears  :D

Nice pics