stupid beginner ?: can seasoning salt be used as a dry rub?

Started by rmdodson, April 20, 2010, 05:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmdodson

Hey there folks,

I got a pork picnic shoulder roast & 2 racks of spareribs to do up over the next few days (I'm off 10 days for vacation...woohoo!)

I inadvertently bought some Johnny's seasoning salt at wally world last week. Can that be used as a dry rub? Or is there too much salt in it?

I wanted to ask before I ruined a bunch of meat  ;)

Thanks

FLBentRider

It would probably end up being overly salty.

But you could use it as a base, maybe add some paprika, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, etc.

Some rubs are saltier than others, for example Jan's rub (see recipe site) has a lot of salt, and It is good on butts IMHO.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

rmdodson

I should probably add that the list of ingredients is:

fine grain crystalline salt,MSG, pepper, paprika, granulated garlic & spices.

squirtthecat

Johnny's is good stuff - but it is very salty.  You might to cut it with some turbinado sugar.

FLBentRider

MSG and I don't get along, but then that's me.

I'd concur with the add sugar idea.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

db14

My grandpa, who makes a prime rib that I have never found an equal to, covers the whole thing in Lawry's and adds some garlic cloves.  That's beef though, chances are something similar on pork would come out tasting a lot saltier.  Although Johnny's sounds like it is a little more diverse than the average seasoning salt.

OU812

First off there is no such thing as a stupid beginner, do you call a kid stupid when they are learning how to walk?  ;D

I have never had Johnnys seasoned salt so I'm just guessin on what it needs but I like Hungarian half sharp paprika, chili powder, black pepper, lemon pepper, onion, garlic and celery powder along with some cayenne pepper, just to name a few, in my rubs.

Grab what you like and start addin a little at a time and keep track of what you put in there till you find what works for you.

Have fun and let us know what you come up with you smart beginner you.

Tenpoint5

Like OU said I have never tried Johnnys Seasonings. But you can't be a stupid beginner a stupid beginner would not have been smart enough to ask the question.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 20, 2010, 08:32:20 AM
Like OU said I have never tried Johnnys Seasonings. But you can't be a stupid beginner a stupid beginner would not have been smart enough to ask the question.

What 10.5 said.  ;D

rmdodson

LOL  :D Let me clarify "stupid beginner ?" = "stupid beginner question"...I wasn't calling myself stupid 'cause that would be stupid  ;)

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I think that for now I will keep the seasoning salt for adding to the frying pan or at the table. I'm still buying various rubs to see what I like...I found a sweet & tangy one also at wally world that worked well on the beef chuck I smoked & shredded this week.  They liked it at work anyway.

rmdodson

forgot to mention...getting ready to unfoil the 2 racks of spareribs & sauce 'em...never cooked ribs before so this is a first...I must be doing somethin' right 'cause they sure do smell good! (At least the outdoors cats think so ;) )

OU812

Quote from: rmdodson on April 20, 2010, 02:04:39 PM
I wasn't calling myself stupid 'cause that would be stupid  ;)

Good one.  ;D

If your still lookin for a good store bought rub try Bad Bryans Butt Rub, good all around rub, its my go to if I dont feel like makin some.

classicrockgriller

If you can find Salt Lick rub, that's a nice rub also.

Beef, and pork

KevinG

That rub CRG gave me tastes pretty darn good out of the bottle. I haven't tried it on food yet, but am looking forward to it. Pits and Spits Mesquite barbecue spice.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=15364.0
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

KevinG

Almost forgot, I got my Bear Claws yesterday and before I opened the package I noticed a really good smell. After I opened I saw they gave me a bunch of sample packets of different rubs. I can't wait to try them all!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG