"My First Brisket" (with pics)

Started by MWS, May 13, 2005, 05:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWS

Here are some pictures of my first brisket. I smoked with hickory for 3 hours for a total cook time of 9 hours @ 210F. I think it was a flat portion (although the butcher called it a point?). I did an S&S rub with bacon on the upper rack. Many a great sandwiches were had...[:D]

Note the S&S Maymes Mac and Cheese on the side....[:p]

Mike - Harrison Hot Springs B.C.

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved" -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

whitetailfan

[boomhower voice]Dang Ol' Dang Ol'...that looks outstanding there man, that's some big ol' brisket there man...dang ol' makes me hungry [/boomhower voice][:p]

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

Gi-mee sum of dat......Excelento.  That does look like the flat to me.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">[boomhower voice]Dang Ol' Dang Ol'...that looks outstanding there man, that's some big ol' brisket there man...dang ol' makes me hungry [/boomhower voice]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">White:[:D]

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Foam Steak

Man that is cool.  I cant wait to do a brisket.  The problem is I can only eat so much food.  So this weekend it is going to be 2 chickens and a couple slabs of pork ribs.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Foam Steak</i>
<br />Man that is cool.  I cant wait to do a brisket.  The problem is I can only eat so much food.  So this weekend it is going to be 2 chickens and a couple slabs of pork ribs.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If that is just for you and the miss's, no not really.  Chicken for <b><font color="red">Saturday Dinner</font id="red"> </b>, Ribs for <b><font color="blue">Sunday Breakfast</font id="blue"> </b>and the Brisket for <b><font color="limegreen">Sunday dinner</font id="limegreen"> </b>.  <b><i><u>I don't see what the issue is?</u> </i> </b> [:D]  AND if you do any ABT's, they taste good anytime, though I do prefer them for breakfast[:p].

Have a great weekend.  Can one ever smoke too much?

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

psdubl07

Mmmm, looks good Mike!  That's definitely the flat.
What internal temp did you take it to and how moist/dry was it?

BigSmoker

Looks like a flat to me[:D].  Congrats it looks fantastic.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

jaeger

Nice picture Mike!

I see you even put some garnish on the plate![:D]

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

JJC

Looks yummy, Mike [:p]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MWS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>
<br />Mmmm, looks good Mike!  That's definitely the flat.
What internal temp did you take it to and how moist/dry was it?

That was a 4 1/2 pounder and I cooked for a total time of 9 hours to an internal temp of 175F. I brushed with mustard and added a paprika etc. based rub and placed bacon on the rack above. I wrapped in tin foil for about 1 hour when done, and when I cut into it, that flat was pretty moist. I was pleasantly surprised about this because there wasn't a whole lot of fat on this cut. I think the mustard and bacon drippings really helped.

Mike 

oguard

Mike looks great.Can't wait to do another brisket[:p][:p].I was wondering what you paid for the brisket per pound.
<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">Mike</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

MWS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oguard</i>
<br />Mike looks great.Can't wait to do another brisket[:p][:p].I was wondering what you paid for the brisket per pound.
<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>

$4 a pound. I pre-ordered it. It was a little more than I expected but it sure made a lot of sandwiches ....What do you pay Mike [?]

Mike 

oguard

Mike I paid about $4.35 a pound.A little more than what I figured also.I made about 3 meals out of a 6lb brisket the first night with mash potatoes and the rest of the fixings,the next day sandwiches for lunch at work(the guys at work were drooling at the smokey aroma[}:)],I didn't share[:D])and we made up some beef dip the next night[:p].I am gonna do some searching and see if I can find it for cheaper.

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

MallardWacker

Mike and Mike,

What does that convert to?  The trimmed briskets flats from Sams are about 2.67lb.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

MWS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Mike and Mike,

What does that convert to?  The trimmed briskets flats from Sams are about 2.67lb.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

That would be $3.15 U.S (<i>$4.00 CAN</i>)at todays rate.

Mike