Excited Newbie

Started by jfgardner4, April 22, 2010, 12:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfgardner4

Ordered my first ever smoker last night.  Thanks to the members on this forum I am going to give smoke a shot.

Ordered the following from Amazon.com

Digital 4 rack Smoker
5 Flavor Variety pack pucks (60 total)
Jim Beam 48 count pucks
All weather cover.

Hopefully it will all arrive by Friday and I can fire it up for the weekend.

Thanks once again to all the valuable info gained from reading here.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum jfgardner4!

You might want to get yourself a remote food thermometer such as a Maverick ET-73. Most of the food you will smoke will be done by internal temperature instead of time.

Congrats on your new smoker.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

lumpy

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like your off to a good start. Now that you've got a new baby............the toys will follow ;)

Lump

KevinG

Welcome to the forum! Yep, those boys are right, many more toys in the workins!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

jfgardner4

thanks guys. I currently own 2 of these
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-digital-oven-probe-thermometer/?pkey=x%7C4%7C1%7C%7C4%7Cthermometer%7C%7C0&cm_src=SCH

They were gifts at christmas and have worked well with my Holland Grill.

I am excited.

classicrockgriller

Congrats jf!

You will a smokin pro before you know it.

Habanero Smoker

Those look like good probes, but remotes are a bit more convenient (most of the time). With a remote, you can carry around the receiver, and not have to go to the smoker to see what the temperatures are. Though the remotes may advertise they can send and receive up to 100 feet, but that is line of sight. If there are too many walls, depending the materials they are made from, and other electronic gadgets your reception can be shortened.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

Good people here willing to answer questions and provide tips. Be sure to check out the recipe site. One tip is to keep the vent open, mine is rarely less than 1/2 closed and most of the time full open. Have fun.  :)

OU812

Your gonna love your new tool.

Here is the recipe site.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=d29098b6b2b6765cb5c650dff5e41b0e&f=180

I keep my vent wide open.

Never use your smoker with the vent closed, you will get condensation built up in side and that will rain black crap down on what your cookin. It can also back up in your generator and really mess things up in there.

DarqMan

Welcome to the forum.

I'm new here too but have been a smokin' for years.  This is my first Bradley smoker and I hope you like it as much as I have.  They just make it almost impossible to mess up.  Lots of knowledgable folks here to lean on for help.

Keep us posted on your progress once you fire her up.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

Ketch22

Welcome to the forum the members here are the best you will find

DTAggie

Congrats on taking the plunge.

ArnieM

Hi jfgardner4 and welcome to the forum.  I'm sure you'll get pleasure from your new smoking appliance.

Remember, you can smoke almost anything; meat, fish, poultry, sausage, nuts, veggies, cheese, etc.  It should keep you busy for a while  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

BuyLowSellHigh

Very cool!  I am only one week ahead of you. It's an adventure.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Captainslug

Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID