Cold Smoking - buy it or build it?

Started by gquest, April 23, 2010, 11:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gquest

Hey Everyone,

I bought the Bradley Digital Smoker a couple months ago and I absolutely love it! I had a Webber Bullet prior to owning the Bradley, which I rarely used because it was such a pain.

Anyway, I really want to start cold smoking, but I'm not sure the best route. Should I buy the adaptor or build my own?

I tried searching the board for a built-it-yourself cold smoker, but I didn't really come up with too much. Are there any instuctions out there for building your own? I'm sure there are, but I haven't had much luck finding any.

Thank you in advance for your help!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum gquest!

I built my own with a cardboard box and a dryer vent hose before the cold smoke adapter came out.

You can find more info here http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=42#post42
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

I believe ArnieM built one out of a cardboard box too. I spent the cash and bought the pre-made unit. I ended up damaging the vent tube because the connection to the cabinet was off and they glued the tube to the connector. It totally unraveled. Bradley was real good about it and sent me a new one.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

NePaSmoKer

The Bradley cold smoke adaptor is the way to go.

ArnieM

Hi gquest and welcome to the forum.

Yeah, I did the cardboard box.  Dirt simple with a length of 4 inch plastic dryer vent.  I got an 8 foot piece and cut it in half.  Here's a few pics.

The MM is not a strict requirement.

A little smoke leaking here and there doesn't matter.  I unplugged the cabinet to make sure no extra heat was creeping in there.

I like the outcome when the cabinet temp is in the 75-85 degree range.  Colder and the smoke doesn't seem to take as well.  Hotter and you'll have melted cheese.

Also, the softer cheeses take on smoke faster.  If you're doing hard and soft, I might pull the softer cheeses sooner.  I prefer apple for this but to each their own.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

jiggerjams

Great post gquest and great pictorial ArnieM.

ArnieM any info on what you did to seal between the SG to the cardboard box if anything at all?

JJ

Habanero Smoker

Hi jquest;

Here is a link to the plans of building another one out of a cardboard box.

Cold Smoking

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jiggerjams

ArnieM

Hi JJ,

I used some clear packing tape to make sure the hose stayed in the cardboard box.  As for the cabinet, open the door, get the hose into the opening and pull it in a couple of inches.  It's a good fit.

Remember you still need the water bowl in the cardboard box under the hot plate.  Otherwise, bad things can happen  ;D

I'm thinking of doing a more permanent setup this year.  Probably a plastic or metal box with sheet metal fittings to take the 4" hose. 

Kinda like this for my garage setup but, of course, on the intake side.

I find the plastic duct works as well as the metal.

That's 6" duct.
-- Arnie

Quarlow

I also built one from a box. I used what is called a "4" fishlock collar" to attach the aluminum vent pipe to the box and smoker.

If you cut the hole really tight and slide it in from inside the box

you get a real good seal

Then fit the pipe over the collar and if you want put a large hose clamp on it. I had one on for awhile but took it off to make an adjustment and realized it was not needed. Then put another collar in the other end and stick it in the smoker port. It stayed in there nicely too.

I had no smoke loss from it. To change the water just slide the smoke generator back and lift the box. Easy peasy. I think I have been watching Jamie Oliver to much.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

3rensho

I went the cardboard box route too with an aluminum dryer hose between box and smoker tower.  Been using the same box for 3+ years and it works great.  Saw no reason to buy something that does the same job.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

ArnieM

Pretty snazzy looking setup cuzin Q. 
-- Arnie

jiggerjams

Quarlow does the vodka box add any flavor?  :D

Quarlow

Thanks cuzin A
Quote from: jiggerjams on April 24, 2010, 11:18:17 AM
Quarlow does the vodka box add any flavor?  :D
No but I did have to empty the box first. .....well maybe it did add flavour but I was just in no shape to remember. :D :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.