Need help for an alternate for CYM

Started by Captainslug, April 24, 2010, 06:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captainslug

I need some help.  I have been looking at all sorts of recipes here on this site and on the SusanMinor site and many call for CYM (cheap yellow mustard).  One problem in my family.  My wife and my son have allergies to mustard.  :(  What would people suggest as a substitute in these recipes for the CYM?  Need the wisdom of the masses. 

Thanks in advance for all who respond.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID

FLBentRider

You could try molasses.

I'm not a fan of CYM either, I've been leaving it out with no complaints from my family.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Captainslug

Quote from: FLBentRider on April 24, 2010, 06:21:03 PM
You could try molasses.

I'm not a fan of CYM either, I've been leaving it out with no complaints from my family.

Leaving it out and replacing with molasses or just leaving it out? 

I was just wondering about "bark" development without CYM.  What is it like with molasses?
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID

bears fan

You will be fine not putting mustard on.  I have not used mustard on anything I have made and I get a nice bark without it.  The first think I ever made was a pork butt and it had a great bark on it and all I put on it was a dry rub.  I'm not a fan of mustard at all, so I have never tried it with it.

classicrockgriller

If you want something to kinda hold the rub on you can use olive oil.

ArnieM

You want to leave mustard out?  Fine.  Check the ingredients.  It's mostly water, vinegar, salt, sugar, spices and - oh yeah - some mustard.  OK, leave out the mustard.

Most say the vinegar does the most work.  I'd use a white wine vinegar - not the stuff you clean your windows with.

Put about a half cup of water, 1/4 cup of the vinegar S&P and some powdered onion and garlic in.  Beat the dickens out of it in a food processor.  Fridge overnight.  You should be good to go - but give it a taste first to adjust  seasoning if you have to.

Nope, It ain't yellow but it's good.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

hal4uk

Heck, the rub ain't gonna just fall off if ya didn't use anything else.
Heat, smoke, and the pork itself do 99% of the magic.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

I stopped using mustard some time back, and use olive oil. It is less messy, and does a good job holding the rub to the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Captainslug

Quote from: ArnieM on April 24, 2010, 08:03:13 PM
You want to leave mustard out?  Fine.  Check the ingredients.  It's mostly water, vinegar, salt, sugar, spices and - oh yeah - some mustard.  OK, leave out the mustard.

Most say the vinegar does the most work.  I'd use a white wine vinegar - not the stuff you clean your windows with.

Put about a half cup of water, 1/4 cup of the vinegar S&P and some powdered onion and garlic in.  Beat the dickens out of it in a food processor.  Fridge overnight.  You should be good to go - but give it a taste first to adjust  seasoning if you have to.

Nope, It ain't yellow but it's good.

ArnieM,  Any suggestions as to the amounts of S&P, powdered onion and garlic to start out with in relation to the 1/2 cup of water and 1/4 cup of vinegar?

Captainslug

I was wondering if tomato sauce or tomato paste could be substituted?  Any comments or experience using either of these?

FLBentRider

Quote from: Captainslug on April 24, 2010, 06:28:17 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on April 24, 2010, 06:21:03 PM
You could try molasses.

Leaving it out and replacing with molasses or just leaving it out? 

I was just wondering about "bark" development without CYM.  What is it like with molasses?

The bark is just fine without the CYM. The molasses was a little dissapointing, it kinda melted off and took some of the rub with it. Others have had better results with the molasses so it could have been my method.

The olive oil sounds good too. I may try that next time.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

hal4uk

Quote from: Captainslug on April 25, 2010, 02:16:48 AM
I was wondering if tomato sauce or tomato paste could be substituted?  Any comments or experience using either of these?

I never tried - but, in that article I just read, Scott Roberts says it will burn.
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

I use Olive Oil on turkeys...   Works great.

hal4uk

My wife gets physically sick if she eats onions (one of my favorite foods)...
But, cooked down good in my Spaghetti sauce, it doesn't bother her AT ALL.

That makes me wonder about the CYM... When you slather ribs or butts with CYM, add your rub, and smoke till done - you cannot see/smell/taste mustard - not at all.  It's like it's just GONE.  I really doubt they would be affected by it.
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Quote from: hal4uk on April 25, 2010, 09:00:12 AM
My wife gets physically sick if she eats onions (one of my favorite foods)...
But, cooked down good in my Spaghetti sauce, it doesn't bother her AT ALL.

That makes me wonder about the CYM... When you slather ribs or butts with CYM, add your rub, and smoke till done - you cannot see/smell/taste mustard - not at all.  It's like it's just GONE.  I really doubt they would be affected by it.

You are right, really didn't think of that. The CYM just goes away.