Question on what you think. Chicken and the smoker.

Started by classicrockgriller, April 27, 2010, 07:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

I do a thingie with a pounded chicken breast and want to add some smoke to it.

If I hot smoke it, I can't finish it like I normally do.

Need some help.

Cold smoke? It is breast and not other chicken parts.

Maybe for an hour and then give it the finish cook real fast?

ArnieM

This is only my humble opinion.  Don't cold-smoke raw chicken of any kind.

You might want to brine it (at least there's salt) or go for #1 for a day.  Plain cold smoking would put it in the danger zone for too long.  But, if you want to get uncomplicated ...

I have a Weber gasser.  I soak up some chips, drain and wrap in tinfoil.  Put it under the grates, oil the grates and add the chicken breasts.  You get some smoke.  If you don't overcook the breasts, they come out tender, juicy and have a bit of smoke on 'em.  The key is not to overcook or you'll have packing material.  Same thing works for a charcoal grill.

Cooking until "just done" takes a bit of practice but I've had rave reviews on my (chicken) breasts.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

The way I do it is already "Good Eats"

To be honest, I don't "Have" to do anything to it.

But I like smoke.

Maybe I will cook the normal way and then smoke before rest of the goodies get on it.

That would work.

Thanks Arnie.

Habanero Smoker

Cold smoking for one hour then immediately grilling or applying high heat will be safe if you move the chicken directly from the refrigerator to the smoker. One hour of cold smoke will not keep the chicken in the danger zone too long, as long as the chicken has been handled properly prior to that.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ka Honu

I'm with Habs on this one (even though he admits to grilling tofu).  I've cold-smoked (brined) turkeys and immediately dropped them into TBE with no problem.  I don't see a one-hour exposure as particularly dangerous (but if you die, can I have your grills & smokers?).

NePaSmoKer

crg

Do your cold smoke you will be fine. I have done cold smoke chicken jerky then added heat and i'm still here................DOH pinch me i think i'm still here  :D  :D

BigJohnT

Why not capture some of your favorite smoke into a liquid and use that?

JT