Temperature Variation Tollerance

Started by itchybeard, April 25, 2010, 04:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itchybeard

Hi All  :)
I am new to the forum and new to curing and smoking so you will probably hear a lot of questions from me in the near future.
I have just purchased the 6 rack digital. I set it up and seasoned it (smelled great) but I did notice a variation in temperature IE: set at 1500F the range was 1250F-1900F is this normal?

Everything seem to work OK so cant wait to give it a go!!!!! I shall be searching around the forum for some good cold and hot smoked Trout recipes as I will be smoking mainly Trout with fish up to 5kg in weight. I am still unsure about the procedure from curing to smoking but am looking forward to eating some smoked trout.

Thanks.

Itchy
Happy Smoking ><((((((o>~~~~~
Itchy

Just coming dear...:D

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum itchybeard!

With no load in the box you will have some temp swings. It should settle down with some food in there. If they temp swings are still to much you can add on a device called a PID that will tighten it up significantly. But I would try it without the PID first.

Make sure you check out our recipe site. you can get the by clicking on the ribs at the bottom of this post.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Welcome to the forum itchybeard. Yep temp swings are normal, I put a couple of bricks in mine to help witht the temp swings. Keep the vent open while smoking.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the Forum itchy.

Good to have you with us.

Quarlow

Welcome to the forum itchybeard. You will want to wrap those bricks in tinfoil first, that way when they get to gross you just rewrapped them. I put one in the bottom beside the water bowl away from the smoke generator and the other I put on the v-tray or the first rack if it is not being used.
You want to keep your vent open at least a 1/4 but usually 1/2. And for poultry wide open.
With the meat load in you will still get a temp swing of ten to 20 degrees but this will lessen as the meat comes up in temp. It is not a problem unless you are doing sausage or smoked salmon where you want a tighter control of the temps. That is where the aid of a PID comes in. With it you will only get temp swings between 2 to 4 degrees which keeps you from fatting out you sausages or getting the dreaded boogers on your salmon.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

itchybeard

Thanks for the quick replies guys I really appreciate it. Lots of good ideas I will be looking at.

I knew this forum would be good!!!

I can concentrate now on getting some smoking done. I shall start tomorrow with some trout and who knows what after lol.
Forgive my ignorance but what is a PID? and if I need one where can I get one?

Also are you pleased with your digital smokers I must admit they look the buisness..
Itchy

FLBentRider

A PID is an accurate temp control device.

You can build your own PID if you are skilled in the electrical/electronic way, or you can buy a plug and play unit.

Plug and play PID http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14&zenid=14d105b3bc074b309bf86564fcca7325
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

itchybeard

Quote from: FLBentRider on April 25, 2010, 05:07:07 PM
A PID is an accurate temp control device.

You can build your own PID if you are skilled in the electrical/electronic way, or you can buy a plug and play unit.

Plug and play PID http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14&zenid=14d105b3bc074b309bf86564fcca7325

Thanks FLBentRider.
That has cleared up any confusion. I have put your recipe site into my favourites, looks good.
Itchy

Quarlow

The really great thing about a PID is you can set it so the temp ramps up at set points. Like say you want to smoke at 120 for 2 hrs and then ramp the temp up to 160 for another amount of time and then ramp up again. This will do it so you don't have to.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

itchybeard

Quote from: Quarlow on April 25, 2010, 09:12:52 PM
The really great thing about a PID is you can set it so the temp ramps up at set points. Like say you want to smoke at 120 for 2 hrs and then ramp the temp up to 160 for another amount of time and then ramp up again. This will do it so you don't have to.

Thanks Quarlow

That sounds good, could you tell me which one this is, the single or dual sensor PID, Also when connected how does it affect the digital smoke generator, eg do you use the one side only? Thanks.

Itchy

Ketch22

Welcome itchybeard  I have a 6 rack and love it. you will work out all the bugs and it will be fun

itchybeard

Quote from: Ketch22 on April 26, 2010, 03:17:31 AM
Welcome itchybeard  I have a 6 rack and love it. you will work out all the bugs and it will be fun

Thanks Ketch22.
I cant wait to give it a go, just ordered some more briquettes Maple, Cherry, Apple, Hickory allready have a few oak. I have to order in bulk as it saves me
a fortune on shipping also not many places you can get them from here.  :(  I can now try some recipes from the forum having a variation off briquettes  :).

I will keep you posted on how I get on. thanks for your help so far, keep it coming please I need it.

Cheers!!!

Itchy

Quarlow

Quote from: itchybeard on April 26, 2010, 02:49:28 AM
Quote from: Quarlow on April 25, 2010, 09:12:52 PM

Thanks Quarlow

That sounds good, could you tell me which one this is, the single or dual sensor PID, Also when connected how does it affect the digital smoke generator, eg do you use the one side only? Thanks.

You can get either one. The dual probe is the latest and greatest. With it you can monitor the cabinet temp and the food temp or if you get a second food probe you can monitor two different meats. I don't have one yet but I beleive it just controls the heating element and monitors the temp in the cabinet and meat, the smoke gen works seperately.

OBS
BBQ

KevinG

Don't let the folks scare you into getting one, I've had my digital for a while now and don't have the PID. It works just fine without it. That's not to say I'm not interested in getting one, but will wait until the cash flows in.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG