Cold smoking - How long?

Started by IanB, August 20, 2010, 08:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanB

Hi folks I'm a newbie from England, I've got some hams curing (and some backs,butts  & bellies)
and cant wait to smoke some but not sure how long to cold smoke them for.
I've got a digital 6 rack with a cold smoke attatchment.

Cheers Ian

Tenpoint5

Ian,
For the Ham I would suggest the following:

Hang Ham in preheated smoker to 120º and hold for 12 Hours (Vent Full Open) then
Increase temp to 140º start smoke and smoke for 8 Hours (Vent at Half) then
Increase temp to 170º until IT of 142º For a fully cooked ham, Hold until the IT reaches 152-155º

The Internal temperature (IT) of 142º is for a ham that will be finished cooking in an oven at a later time. The 152-155º is for a fully cooked read to eat ham.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

IanB

Cheers Tenpoint5 but I really want to cold smoke them for slicing and grill/fry later

Tenpoint5

Quote from: IanB on August 20, 2010, 08:20:32 AM
Cheers Tenpoint5 but I really want to cold smoke them for slicing and grill/fry later

Are you starting with a fresh ham to be cold smoked or a store bought ham that you would like to add some extra smoke to? I was quoting the smoke time for a home cured ham from scratch. If your wanting to slice and grill/fry later then I would only smoke to the 142º as you will be finishing the cooking on the grill later.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

IanB

I've just dry cured a big (80kg) gilt pig with supacure and want to smoke some of it to
slice for bacon / gammon etc.
I am starting to realise everything is done differenly over the pond,
you even have different names for things - Butts?  Pulled pork?

Tenpoint5

Here is the link to our recipe site there is several different bacon threads and lots of helpful hints to get you started with your Bradley.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes&s=1f44a476777bd7682f99b4023bb6f003

Here is the link to a ham that I did when I started from scratch with a fresh ham.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8442.0

A "Butt" or Boston Butt is from the front leg. It is the upper half of the leg and contains the lower half of the shoulder blade bone. When cooked low and slow to an internal temp of 190-205º the bone will slide out easily and the meat will shred or "Pull" almost by itself this resulting in Pulled Pork.

IanB

Cheers Tenpoint5, very helpfull,

Thanks  Ian

Mr Walleye

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum.

Here is an interactive Pork Chart. Just scroll down the page and click on the different areas and another page will pop up with the different cuts.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/hog_cuts_interactive_chart.htm

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

IanB

Cheers Mr Walleye, I am a butcher here in england but I did'nt recognize your names for
different cuts of pork on the other side of the pond

Ian

Mr Walleye

Quote from: IanB on August 20, 2010, 09:59:03 AM
Cheers Mr Walleye, I am a butcher here in england but I did'nt recognize your names for
different cuts of pork on the other side of the pond

Ian

Sorry Ian, I should have read the other thread first.

I was really looking for a post that showed all the various names of cuts and their equivalent from both sides of the pond but I can't seem to find it. If I do I will post it for you.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Here is another cured ham recipe you may want to look at. It is fully cooked ham. I only apply 4 hours of smoke:

Smoked Cured Ham

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)